Find the answer to your Linux question:
Currently I am running widnows xp pro, I have a free partition I have the newest mandrake dvd and was wondering if I can install it onto that partition and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Mandrake With Windows Running

Currently I am running widnows xp pro, I have a free partition I have the newest mandrake dvd and was wondering if I can install it onto that partition and have two operating systems?

Also when I put the dvd in the Autorun pops up and when I click
    "install mandrakelinux" nothing happens.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi, yes you can have both the OS's installed on your computer.

Insert the DVD into your drive and reboot, then you will be able to install MDK at the free (un-partitioned) partition. Make sure you really choose the right partition when you do your installation. After the installation is done you will get a new boot loader, (that is Lilo for MDK), where you will be able to choose between Linux or Windows. Usually the MDK installation will Autodetect your current installed OS.

Just Joined!
    excellent thanks!
    also when I boot it up it frezzes on installing video drivers, do you know what this can be cause by?

and can I just pop the disc in and install from windows?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    When you insert the CD under Windows you will get an Autorun which allows you access to the documentation, which is useful when trying to figure out how to install. This does not let you install Linux though.

When booting from the disk there is an option to press F1. This gives you options like installing wiith minimal graphics support which can be useful if there is a graphics problem.

Mandrake is really easy to install though, general steps are the following:
    Defrag your Windows partition
    reboot with install disk in drive and boot off it
    Mandrake installation starts and is pretty easy to follow
    make sure that you do not delete your windows install during the partitioning part of the process (http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandrak...tionDisks.html)
    Some configuration which is pretty intuitive and there you go!

Have fun

Linux Enthusiast
    I have never installed MDK from within windows, and I would pretty much expect there are tons of problems doing so.

About your video drivers, try some driver that is more of a standard driver just to see that you can configure them properly and fire up you X window session correctly, after that, there will be ways to fix your video driver in a better manner. But then, it is kind of strange that it freezes, due to the fact that most of the cases the installation works like a charm, but then when starting up the system after installation sometimes there are a few problems. Anyhow, try a standard video driver.