Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I just got mandrake and installed it but it doesn't have my video card in the setup. Is the X800 compatible with Mandrake 10.1? Or is there an update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 and X800 Pro

Ok I just got mandrake and installed it but it doesn't have my video card in the setup. Is the X800 compatible with Mandrake 10.1? Or is there an update I need? I'm lost. I can boot into it but I can't startx it gives me a fatal error. I have a dual boot setup with XP pro and Mandrake did I miss something?

Just Joined!
    Takin' a stab in the dark....
    Did you d/l the appropriate build for your compy? Did you install the X86 version on an i586 machine or vice-versa?

Just Joined!
    Ok well I have a 2.5 P4 and have the i586 is that the right one? When I try to set it up and do a test it tells me device not detected is it refering to the mointor or my card? I run a Flat Panle on DVI do I need it on VGA? And I can find X86 anywhere at madrakes site all I see is i586.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialoutcast
    Ok well I have a 2.5 P4 and have the i586 is that the right one? When I try to set it up and do a test it tells me device not detected is it refering to the mointor or my card? I run a Flat Panle on DVI do I need it on VGA? And I can find X86 anywhere at madrakes site all I see is i586.
    i586 is correct for a P4. The test you're referring to is the test monitor, right?
    I'd try going through and testing the VGAs until you get one that works. If not, try telling it generic. You'll know if it detects a monitor or not (working) if when you test you get a rainbow of colors across the screen. It'll prompt then for weither or not you want to keep the selected configuration.

But if it won't detect your monitor, there's nothing more I can tell you. It'll be fine for command line, I guess. But forget running Shell.

You're using the free 10.1 from Fedora Core 3, aren't you? I'm really dissapointed with it myself. Disks work better (doesn't eat disks), but my old backups aren't read well in Konqueror at all. And I really miss the Yum updates. I recently did the same jump. I'm going to look at SuSe 9.2 pro sometime next week. (I'll have updates back, but will have to finaggle getting DVDs playing.)

Good Luck though!