Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed mandrake 10.1 3 cds and all.After it gets done doing all kinds of test it just goes to a black screen and does nothing but my monitor dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Black screen after booting up.

I installed mandrake 10.1 3 cds and all.After it gets done doing all kinds of test it just goes to a black screen and does nothing but my monitor dont go to stand by mode.sometimes almost random it will go to a login screen where i put my password and user name then i get a command Prompt that i have no clue how to use.

I configured it as best that i could when installing it but i'm new to linux so its hard telling what i did wrong.Its configured for my motherboard video card intel 82810 but i also have a ati radeon 9200 128mb card in the pc aswell(i use for windows xp).do i need to take out my ati card or is there some other reason for the problem.I dont want to give up on linux but if i can get passed this problem i might have too.I hate being new to an operating system =/.I guess i'll play around with it and see if anything happens.

Just Joined!
    sometimes almost random it will go to a login screen where i put my password and user name then i get a command Prompt that i have no clue how to use.
    When you next get to this place (after logging in with your username and password), try the following command:
    Code:
    startx

Just Joined!

yea

I got it to work last night,i reinstalled it but set it up to work on the ati card and it worked perfect. I must say,i am impressed with linux GUI and media players. Only thing is i cant use internet with linux . I got DSL and a usb modem i got from my ISP. Its a speedstream 5200 and there dont seem to be any drivers for it. I was wondering if there was a work around to this? Get a pci nic card or new modem or both?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The easiest way to do it would be to buy a cheap ethernet card, then you wouldn't need any drivers to use the modem. You could pick up a 10/100 Netgear FA311 for about $13.00, or it's gigabit cousin, the GA311, for about $21.50 on Newegg (I love Newegg, by the way):

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    ahh,I love cheap solutions :P looks like the AF311 model will work just fine.

Linux Newbie
    Is your system a dell?
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.