Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm (obviously) new to the forums, and am needing some networking expertise. I've install Mandrake 10.1 on a second PC, and I'm trying to connect to the Internet through ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake Internet access through Windows XP network bridge?

Hello,
    I'm (obviously) new to the forums, and am needing some networking expertise.

I've install Mandrake 10.1 on a second PC, and I'm trying to connect to the Internet through my Windows XP computer. The WinXP machine has a USB wireless adapter that connects it to my neighbor's router. I have an ethernet connection between the Linux and Windows PC's through an old(er) hub (not a switch). The router has the address 192.168.0.1, so that is not available to me for ICS - and I don't even know if that would work with Linux anyway. My neighbor's router is set up to be a DHCP server, and the Windows PC gets its address automatically (right now it's 192.168.0.100). Linux recognizes the ethernet card as "eth0" and says it's connected when I configure static IP/subnet mask to match the Windows PC.

I've tried a couple of things:

1) Set static IP's on each PC (only on the ethernet LAN in XP) in the 192.168.0.x range or 192.168.2.0 range (with mask 255.255.255.0) - I've tried it in each range.

Result: I can ping the Linux box OK from Windows, but the Linux box can't ping my Windows box (it can ping itself). No Internet access from Linux.

2) I've tried connecting the two networks (wireless and wired) in XP with a bridge and use static IP's (192.168.0.x) on the bridge and the Linux box. In Linux, I set the gateway as 192.168.0.1 and used the DNS server address which I know. The Linux box still can't ping the Windows box or get on the Internet. Windows still sees the Internet.

Any way I can get this to work so I don't have to buy more networking equipment? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Just Joined!
    Robbtuck, the problem lies with both your hub and WinXP - they are not intelligent enough to forward your neighbour's router details to the Linux PC.
    A hub is just a repeater, ie. extends a network. It can forward network details, ie. DHCP requests, but only if it is directly connected to a device does this, ie. connected to a DHCP router, like your neighbour's.
    Your WinXP PC works as its wireless link is connected direct to your neighbour's router. A possible solution would be to get a Linux wireless USB device for your Linux PC.
    Minhaz

Just Joined!
    I found the problem - my Kerio firewall on WinXP was blocking the Linux PC.

Thanks for the input!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close