Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a Linux newbie- I have experimented with mandrakelinux since version 7 and was able to get most everything working as far as getting updates manually and doing everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem getting updates 10.1

I am a Linux newbie-
    I have experimented with mandrakelinux since version 7 and was able to get most everything working as far as getting updates manually and doing everything else.
    Now I am using 10.1 (downloaded edition/community) and have this error when I choose any of the mirrors in the list as folllows:
    "It is impossible to retrieve the list of new packages from the media 'update_source'. Either
    this update media is misconfigured, and in this caseyou should use Software Media Manager to remove it and re-add it in order to reconfigure it, either it is currently unreachable
    and you should re-try later."

Well, I have tried every mirror in the list and still get the same error. In my "windows" mind of thinking, I rebooted several different times (between attempts) to see if that would help, and it did not.
    Can anyone help me with this problem? It doesn't explain or say what to remove and re-install and I have internet access-I am using my linux box right now to post this.

Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you not upgrade to 10.1 Official? This fixes many problems and updates are easier. I had 10.0 Community for a while and got similar errors trying to update that distro but 10.1 Official is OK.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    (also a newbie)
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!

That was it!!!

The version i had installed was downloaded last year, after all my frustration i decided to download the latest (official) and installed it and now i have everything working great.
    thanks for your help.