Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to install Mandrake Linux for about a couple of weeks now, and have been having the worst time with it. The problem is that I keep ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition problems non stop!!!

I have been trying to install Mandrake Linux for about a couple of weeks now, and have been having the worst time with it. The problem is that I keep recieving error messages when I get to the partitiojn screen. I have tried to use Partition Magic with no help as well. The errors I recieved are pertaining to the formatting of the drives and are as follows: I auto allocate-hit done-and after a long while I get the message: error occurred ext3 formatting of hda5 failed. If I clear all and create seperate partitions x6, hit done, I still get the same error. I have tried every option available except for deleting the whole drive and starting fresh. I want to have dual os's and am running win xp home on the c drive. I want to have linux where the d drive was. I also want to install bootmagic to switch the os's but am having problems installing it because I have an all NTFS drive. I tried to convert a small section of the c drive at the beginning to FAT32 but cannot install bootmagic for some strange reason. I just get an error code-1602 I think- and there is no way to identify what the code means?? I am truely lost but not giving up. Please help me out here!!!

The only thing I can suggest is that you do a fresh install of both Windows and Linux. Also goto your hard drive manufacturer's website and get a drive inspection tool. If required, you may need to do a low level format.

Just Joined!

still no luck!!!???

I don't know what a low level format is, but I have tried to do a fresh install a few times already, by the way, how many times can you re-format a hard drive before it is unhealthy? I have done it at least 10 times now. The laptop came with Winxp home installed on it and the only way I can do a install is to use the rescue disk and re-install the whole pachage that the computer came with. The hard drive is partitioned as follows: type part. MB used prim/log
    NTFS local(*) 4,769.3 4,161.0 primary
    FAT32 B.M.(d) 47.1 0.7 primary
    NTFS local(*) 15,319.8 6,405.4 primary-active*
    EXT. (*) 18,018.2 18,018.2 primary
    linuxext3local(*) 792.2 28.5 logical
    linuxswap ???(*) 1,592.3 1,592.3 logical
    linuxext2local(*) 3,992.7 3,992.7 logical
    linuxext2local(*) 5,341.9 5,341.9 logical
    linuxext2local(*) 5,302.7 5,302.7 logical
    linuxext2local(*) 996.2 996.2 logical

The small B.M. partition is the BootMagic partition that I had to make because of running an only NTFS drive. When I tried to install the program I got the following message-1607:unable to install installshield scripting runtime.
    The table is adapted from the Partition Magic screen. I used it to make the linux partitions and tried to install Linux again with no luck yet?? I don't understand why it still stays at the partition screen when the partitions are already made?? I can't use P.M to install Linux with the wizard because it gives me a warning that it needs to be done manually. Should I just give up on Mandrake and try another release?? Has anyone ever had problems like these before??

Ok 1st things first: A low level format just writes a 0 to every bit of disk space.

You can format until the drive dies. But usually I wouldn't format more than twice a year or so.

Ok heres what you do: Without using Partition Magic or BootMagic
    1. Insert the Mandrake cd and goto the installation setup

2. Proceed as far as the Writing to Partition table part. Here you allocate A% of the drive to Windows as NTFS first. Then B% of drive to Windows Secondary as NTFS, C% to Linux and mount it as /. And finally give D% to swap. Note A + B + C + D = 100. You do not need a disk manager partition, or those other linux partitions. You must create the Partitions in this order.

3. Once Partition Table has been written. Reboot Computer immedately! and enter bios menu.

4. Insert WinXP rescue disk and restart, proceed to install Windows onto the NTFS primary NTFS partiton you just created.

5. Once Windows has installed successfully, Insert the Mandrake CD and enter mandrake's setup. DO NOT change anything about the partition table or you will have to repeat everything.

6. Continue to install Linux. When you get to the LILO setup, install LILO to the MBR on hda. Also add the Windows partition by selecting add and then selecting an option which loooks like /Windows

Don't give up yet. Following these steps to the letter will get you running with linux in no time.

If the same error occurs, goto the harddrive manufacturer's website here is a link to hitachi's website for hard drive tools :http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm Make sure you get the correct manufacturer's tool from your hard drive manufacturer's site.

Then if your PC don't have a floppy drive, simply create a emulated floppy using nero and a cd-rw.

Linux Engineer
    The problem with those #$@)(*& "restore" cd's is it will most likely wipe out that drive and format it again. Hate those things.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

The steps that I have outlined above are designed to trick the restore cd to think that the c drive has suddenly shrunk from ~40 G to the new ~ 5 G. it should only see this 5 G part and not the 40G part. And hence it will install Windows to the new 5 G part whilst leaving all other partitions untouched.

For other people's experiences on installing linux onto laptops, check out this site http://www.linux-laptop.net/ Most of them follow the same steps I have outlined above.

Just Joined!

Methods?

I will try your suggestion tonight. I have tried alot of different methods but not that one. The main one that I have heard over and over is as follows: Boot into Windows, make copy of d drive and paste on c drive. Format d drive and re boot with linux disk. When at partition screen put linux partition where d drive was. Add swap and write to disk. Continue with setup... I have tried this methos in a few different ways and had no sucess with it. Like I say, I will try your way tonight and let you know how it went tomorow. So if I have formatted the drive a ton of ti9mes already, am I going to be damaging it by continuing to play with the install?

Usually formatting the drive somany times in the space of a few days is not good for the drives. But these days, drives are meant to be more tough and it will take some time before the drive will fail.

I remember when i first started with linux, i went through 3 drives in the space of two weeks, just trying to get a dual boot setup, but that was ~7 years ago.

Good luck with your setup.