Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm very,very,very new to Linux and although i know quite a bit about windows ,this is alien to me so please speak s.l.o.w.l.y....anyway How do i install a Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Updating Nvidia Driver

Hi,
    I'm very,very,very new to Linux and although i know quite a bit about windows ,this is alien to me so please speak s.l.o.w.l.y....anyway
    How do i install a Linux driver for an Nvidia FX5600 card.
    I've downloaded it from Nvidia but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it installed.
    I'm running mandrake linux 10.1

Please help.... i'm starting to love Linux but unless i get drivers installed then i'm stuck!!

Cheers

Lube

Just Joined!
    Hi there Lubricant_Larry,

I'm interested to know how to install the graphics driver for Mandrake 10.1 also cause I just ordered it from Amazon and it should be shipped tomorrow. I know how to install the Nvidia graphics driver in SuSE 9.2 as I've done it a few times for my Geforce FX5950 Ultra card. Simple in that distro really, you just do it in YaST and it updates the driver on it's own with the on-line update.

I'll have to let you know how I go on with my copy of Mandrake when I get it, I'm just not sure yet what it will be like.

Linux Engineer
    If it's Mandrake 10.1 official then the driver will be installed when you install the distro.

Else you'll need to kill the gui and get command line ( type init 3 as root in a terminal should do it )

Then follow the instruction on the nvidia site.

Then when it's installed and you've edited the xorg.conf or XF86Conf.org or XF86Conf-4.org file just type startx and all should be well.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly