Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi could some of you guys who are running Mandrake 8.1 post your sys specs? i am wondering what are the minimum sys specs for decent Mandrake 8.1 gnome speed. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what are your sys specs? (esp if using Mandrake 8.1)

hi

could some of you guys who are running Mandrake 8.1 post your sys specs?

i am wondering what are the minimum sys specs for decent Mandrake 8.1 gnome speed. atm i am using a p200mmx 32 meg 2.1 gig hdd laptop and gnome is slow as gluey ballbearings..

what r ur sys specs?

When I ran 8.1 ages ago, I had a P233MMX 32Mb RAM 4 G Hdd and I ran faster than Win 98 and NT4. I still have it around somewhere and it outperforms my brothers 800 Mhz W2K machine.

Although I never really ran GNOME, I always tended towards KDE and it was fast. A suggestion would be to increase the swap space to about 300-400 Mb as i did for that P MMX machine.

Just Joined!
    i MUSt be doing something wrong

my 200mmx 32 meg ram 2.1 gb hdd is slow like a hog in mud...

im trying to tweak gnome to make it run faster

gnome IS faster than kde right?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As far as I know, Gnome is more resource-hungry than KDE, when I had 8.1 I only used KDE and it was fine. Why the preference for Gnome?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Try switching to KDE and increase the swap space. My claim that the P MMX outperforms my bro's 800 Mhz W2K machine need some clarification.
    1. The P MMX loads things faster
    2. My brother has a huge registry filled with utter crap and the last time I played with it, i lost his work and spend a day getting things stable again.
    3. W2K is a spyware/trojan/virus magnet and thus will slow down any computer
    4. The P MMX cant play any games except for the basic KDE games. It is now used by me to teach my brother the joys of linux.

Just Joined!
    ill try switching to KDE as you guys suggested.

i think i will have to reformat partitions and reinstall everything to get a larger swap partition. there doesnt seem to be a way to change swap size after install.

i picked gnome over kde intitially because i read somewhere that gnome was made by developers freely contributing their time and that kde had alot more fiddly bits stuck in to make it look good.