Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok so my mandrake 8.1 is installed.. but the gnome gui is too slow and crashes the network card anyway. but i can access the web using the CLI how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how easy is it to set up a firewall using the CLI?

ok so my mandrake 8.1 is installed..
    but the gnome gui is too slow and crashes the network card anyway.
    but i can access the web using the CLI

how easy is it to set up a firewall just using the CLI?
    i am reading about ipchains at the moment but i am not sure if i should just start with a basic firewall config file (from the web) and how big this might be... somehow, i am not sure that using gnome to set up the firewall will save the settings into the CLI...

hope someone can help start discussing the firewall.
    i have tried both smoothwall and ipcop but neither can cope with my pcmcia network cards.

Why don't you try upgrading to 10.1, I lent my copy of 10.1 to a friend who has a P166 (non MMX) laptop with 32 MB RAM and 3G HDD and 10.1 works fine with a big swap space (~400 MB). It detected his ethernet card and oter periperals. Though he is running IceWM rather than KDE or GNOME.

Also you could try Mandrake's own firewall solution its called Mandrake Single Network Firewall and does essentially the same thing as Smoothwall.

Another thing you could try is do away with the GUI and just install the basics along with shorewall, iptables, ipchains and squid. Then use the command line to change stuff.

Just Joined!
    doesnt 8.1 come with the Mandrake Single Firewall?.... Is that the same as shorewall?

i think i might try Mandrake 10.1 but im also giving VectorLinux (1cd) a try. I have been pointed towards IceWM too so that is also another one to test.

If I just want to install shorewall, iptables, ipchains and squid without GUI as you suggested, what packages should I select on install?....
    I think the packages are Web server, Firewall, DNS/something and some other stuff :/

I might just try for, as you suggested, just a Smoothwall equivalent and then host the website on anothe rmachine.

I tried going throiugh the detailed selection but there were interdependencies and names I didnt recognise -.-

doesnt 8.1 come with the Mandrake Single Firewall?.... Is that the same as shorewall?
    Shorewall is the linux version of Norton Personal firewall, but shorewall is more robust. Mandrake Single Firewall is Mandrakesoft's version of Smoothwall Express.

Yes, in response to 2nd question, install these plus include the following squid, the routing/gateway package and samba. Also include some editors such as vi.

Whenever a dependancy issue comes up, just select yes, the software knows what it needs and will install them if you select 'yes'.

Just Joined!
    ive tried googling but...

how do i start the Mandrake Single Network firewall?
    i have installed mandrake 8.1.....
    but ..nothing points to the SNF?
    is it in the gui?
    can i start it from the CLI given my gui is really slow...?