Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all! Im really new to Linux and decided to give it a go. I just have a few questions and would aprechiate any help! Im using Mandrake 10.0 On: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie Questions...

Hi all!
    Im really new to Linux and decided to give it a go.
    I just have a few questions and would aprechiate any help!

Im using Mandrake 10.0
    On:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    512mb RAM
    120gig WD
    JustLink CD Burner
    Powercolour ATI Radeon 9600XT
    MSI K7N2 Mobo

1st of all..I have a winmodem So im working on gettin that working..
    i ran ScanModem and heres what I got:
    Code:
    UPDATE=2005_March_20

PCIBUS=01:09.0

Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 01:09.0
      with vendor-ID:device-ID
                ----:----
    Class 0780: 11c1:044c   Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem (rev 02)
      SubSystem 11c1:044c   Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
            Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
            I/O ports at 9000 [size=8]

-----PCI_IDs-------                    --CompilerVer-
        Feature List:  Primary  Subsystem Distr  KernelVer   kernel default  CPU
     ./scanModem test 11c1:044c 11c1:044c mandrake 2.6.3-7mdk 3.3.2 3.3.2    i686

The modem has a supported Lucent/Agere DSP (digital signal processing) chipset
      with primary PCI_ID:  11c1:044c
     DSP=1
    Can you guys help me out?

Im also having problems installing my ATI drivers. Im pretty sure i got the right Xfree versions..more about that later..when I can take screens...

Whats a good chatting program for Linux? I will be using MSN.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Just Joined!

your modem and chat program

have you downloaded the most recent drivers???
    my opinion, is simply to buy a new modem... winmodems are a pain in the *** in linux. its not worth asting your time....

yes, your right. u should b using msn its quite good, if not try yahoo messenger...

Just Joined!
    I cant find the most recent drivers! i tryed google.....

And i use MSN now, on XP...but when I use LINUX more what program?

Thanks..

Just Joined!
    Insted of MSN messanger you can use kopate, you will finde it in main menu under internet/instant massaging!!!!!!!!!!

What "Linux" told you is well known about 'win-modems', linux doesn't like them and you'd save yourself a lot of hassle by using an external.....

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    You can't use a Winmodem with Linux because Winmodems are designed to run with Windows operating systems only. They require part of the operating system (in this case Windows, that's why the name starts with 'Win') to control what is going on with the actual modem itself. All I can suggest is if you want to run a modem with Linux is throw away the Winmodem and buy an external one, more expensive but better. You can get some really good ones.

Unless you have broadband enabled in your area then get that instead, I switched over a while ago now, something like a year and I couldn't ever go back to dial up again. If you have no choice in your area then I guess an external one will have to do.

I believe 'Zoom' modems are good. Have a look at some reviews of them and see if there's anything that looks interesting.

You can get Winmodems working with Linux. I know because I have goten my Lucent Winmodem working under Mandrake before moving onto broadband. See this tutorial http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...rial-3100.html and get drivers for your modem and more tutorials from here www.linmodems.org

Also for chat programs try kopte, gaim and amsn. IMO gaim is the best of these. You can download them from sourceforge.net

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    You can get Winmodems working with Linux. I know because I have goten my Lucent Winmodem working under Mandrake before moving onto broadband.
    Sorry, I wouldn't have known if it were possible. If you have got a Winmodem working like you say you have then you'd know more about it than me. I've only ever used Linux on the net via a broadband connection anyway, I only had AOL as my provider before and that was using a Winmodem, problem was that because it was AOL it wouldn't support linux anyway.

I would imagine though that an external modem will be much better than a cheaper Winmodem. Those Zoom ones are nice and I'm only going on what I've been told before by people who have been in the linux world much longer than I have.

I'm about to swap over to Mandrake from SuSE 9.2 soon, can you say much about how good Mandrake 10.1 is? I wasn't having much luck with SuSE anyway and I needed a change so I've ordered it from the shop, should arrive tomorrow sometime.

Just Joined!
    Hi all.
    Thanks for the replys! This really is a great fourm.
    Im downloading those files from above now and im gonna give it a go. If it works then...YA! I don't have to fork out more money..Bu tif not..Then oh well. http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH1154 This modem looks good and boasts Linux support. Oh, and broadband isnt avalible in my area yet.

Andrew_TA:
    The modem you have linked to is also a Winmodem. The winmodem that I got working under Mandrake was a 56K Netcomm Inmodem V.92, here is the link to netcomm's site http://www.netcomm.com.au/Modems/internal.php. I paid AU$45 about 18 months ago for this modem before moving onto Unwired.

Linux4Life:
    Well, quoting Mandrakesoft's marketing department : "The Friendliest Linux Distribution". It is easy to setup Printers, Modems (including Winmodems), External drives and extra stuff. Going by my experience with SuSE 6.2 from ages ago (and comparing that with Mandrake 7(I think?)), mandrake is definitely the more performance and development oriented distro which boasts nearly the same ease of use as Windows with the flexibility and power of Linux.