Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, Im a noob in linux. Just a while ago, i went to distromania and downloaded the 3 RAR files (one for each cd.) What am i supposed to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.2 RP1 RAR File

Hey,

Im a noob in linux. Just a while ago, i went to distromania and downloaded the 3 RAR files (one for each cd.) What am i supposed to do with them? burn the whole RAR file? I have uncompressed the RAR file and a lot of documents and files appear... where is the iso i should burn? I am completely lost...

I hope one of you guys will help me fast. I cant wait to (finally) get linux.

Thanx

JP

Just Joined!
    LET ME RESTATE THE QUESTION in case you misunderstood

im sure all of you guys using linux can solve this and help me

well, this morning i decided to convert to linux from WIN XP. i went to distromania and downloaded the three cd's for Mandrake Linux 10.2 RP1. When they finished downloading, i noticed they were all in .RAR files. So i uncompressed them... There were lots of filess...

1. Did i do the right thing?
    2. Should i just burn the whole .RAR file?
    3. Where is the ISO?
    4. What should i burn?
    5. Im completely clueless.... Can you help me?

Just Joined!
    Hi *Linux"

Yes, you've done the right thing. What you need to do is extract the RAR archive using the appropriate software called WinRAR (If you're working in Windows XP already) that way you'll be able to access the files inside the RAR. What you need to do then is get the ISO files from within that and burn those in Nero as images.

Hope this helps, post again if you have any more problems and I'll help you out

Good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

i still dont understand...

when i unzip the rar files, i get loads of files... I cant find the iso's to burn... can u help me... again?

Er, well, can't you just try to burn the contents of the first CD into a rewritable CD, asking nero to burn a simple data CD ?
    Most probably some of those files will initiate a linux boot sequence, and if that does not work you will know there is the need for another solution...

Just Joined!
    hi there
    please note that mandrake 10.2 is a BETA release - means it is not stable and is released for bug fixing. think it is not an appropriate choice for first distro. you should rather try the more stable version - the latest version is 10.1 which you can download from the many mirrors available. try from http://iso.linuxquestions.org/
    you may also try the other distros designed for new windows converts - www.elxlinux.com which i use and which fits in one single cd.

Just Joined!
    IF there are no ISOs just burn a data CD for all the files in each RAR...
    1 RAR package to a CD....

strange that it would be released that way...what Distro is this?

Just Joined!
    the thing actually is that the RAR files you say you downloaded are not .RAR files they are .ISO but have the icon of a RAR file i have no idea why. Same thing happens when i download Linux on my XP, they have the .RAR icor but they're ISO's so all you have to do is open Nero and choose Burn Image and then go Open and then navigate to the directory where u saved the file and when u see the file select it and burn it. after u burn it u can put it in and boot from it.

It's just RAR supports .iso as a form of cabinet archive. Don't decompress, just open Nero or something and open the file from within there, or hold shift+ctrl whil rightclicking to get the Open With... option and choose your burning software.

10.2RC1 is a 'test' release, you may be better loading either 10.1 or waiting for Mandrake 2005 Limited Edition in a few weeks.