Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need help installing apache to my mandrake linux box. I get as far as unpacking the tar.gz file and then i get screwed. In the shell i type ./configure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Apache

I need help installing apache to my mandrake linux box. I get as far as unpacking the tar.gz file and then i get screwed. In the shell i type ./configure and it does its thing there. Then i get some errors on the make and make install commands. One error says something about the directory not existing or something. Can someone please help me .... I am totaly new to this linux os and I am not used to the shell and its commands so if someone could just walk me through this it would be very much appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

From the top and my memory (assuming Apache version 1.3.X here too), get the apache source (ending with .tar.gz);gunzip and untar it

$ gunzip -cd <apache_src_file>.tar.gz | tar -xvf -

Then cd into the just created directory.

Then we need to run "./configure" - please note with this command that we can add lots of different flags depending on what you want apache to do - e.g. talk to a database, use an apache module, etc - see a full list of what yoy can do by running ( $ ./configure --help)

The most common thing to add to the ./configure is the --prefix=<path> - this is were you are going to install apache to. So try running:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/apache

This will tell apache that we plan to install it in /usr/apache
    Then, if configure completes with no errors, run make in the same directory:

$ make

Then, if make completes with no errors, su to root user and run make install ; this is because we need to create directories, and your account might not have the appropriate permissions.

$ su -
    <ur root pass here>
    # cd <where the apache source is>
    # make install

This should mean your apache is installed in /usr/apache ; cd into that dir and take a look...

Hopefully this will get you going. See http://httpd.apache.org for more info + the README / INSTALL files in the apache source for a whole lot more information too.

Enjoy!
    Darren

Just Joined!
    Or if you have the CD's or DVD you could just use the Apache RPM that's on them.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury
    You do not need to mess around with tarballs and source code to get apache installed and running in Mandrake 10.1.
    Just go to the menu choose system>> configuration >>configure your computer,
    Type in the root password at the prompt,
    Choose the software management menu item, choose install (the top left icon),
    When the menu opens it will ask you to wait for a second or two, or if it hasn't run much it will propmpt you whethte r or not to continue.
    click on the Mandrake linux choices, int he left hand menu is several options click on the Arrow next to server, this will open a further tree of packages, got to web/ftp and choose the apache packages you wish from there. If you cannot find what you are looking for then it is most likely already installed.
    If so, or after installing the package, then exit the software installer and in the Management console look for System( just above the software menu button), on the top right there is a gear icon, services, click on this and another window with all the configured services will appear, look or scroll down the list and there should be a service called httpd, this is the apache service daemon, you can set it to run at boot if you wish or just start it here if you want.
    It can also be started from the command line too
    But I'll let someone else explain that.

For more info on using the RPM's etc in mandrake check out this readme:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-19957.html
    good luck
    To check your server is up and running Open your browser and type http://localhost/ in the address bar or use your hostname instead of localhost.
    The welcome to localhost page will appear.

By far the simplest way to get apache installed and running on Mandrake, If you do not have the packages on CD then the Urpmi command line utility is the best bet.
    There are instructions on using ( and updating the packages available) on this site too.
    Enjoy.

Just Joined!

Thanks

Thanks guys you were all a great help. I now have my very own apache server up and running thanks to you guys . Thanks alot guys you are the greatest.