Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running a dual boot system with widows xp and boor loader on hda. I have Mandrake linux on hdb. However I wish to use a section of hdb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I wish to have part of my hdb for windows

I am running a dual boot system with widows xp and boor loader on hda. I have Mandrake linux on hdb.
    However I wish to use a section of hdb for windows (about 10gigs of 80 gig drive) so that files can be shared betwen the two systems. I understand that i will need to format that as fat32.
    However i have tried using diskdrake but it won't allow me to unmount beore i proceed any further.
    Any pointers for a newbie would be much appreciated.
    Roly

You can't resize a disk that's mounted, and it sounds like you're trying to resize your / partition, so you can't unmount it and then resize it. You could try booting from a live cd like Knoppix or Sysresccd (one of my favorites) and then running qtparted. You should be able to resize the partition that way.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    It may be possible to use a third party boot manager to resize the partition. I'm not sure how it works with the Linux native filesystem though. Sorry I can't be of more help, but that may point you at something useful.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close