Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am still trying to make my Creative Labs sound card work in Mandrake. I've exhausted all of my Unix command knowledge in trying to figure out why when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ALSA Woes

Hello,

I am still trying to make my Creative Labs sound card work in Mandrake. I've exhausted all of my Unix command knowledge in trying to figure out why when I type: "alsamixer" I get:

"alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device"

I have downloaded seemingly every package that ALSA might depend on and ran "./config" and "make install" commands over and over again.

I've learned that the systems assigns a EMU10KX driver (or something to that effect) and so I ran "./config <this name>" but ALSA just ran through a bunch of executions and nothing happened.

I also ran "alsaconf" (or something similiar) command which tried to find drivers in the library but, again, it didn't find a driver for me even from a legacy driver list. Aaaaargh! Does anybody know what the problem could be? The "alsamixer" error definitely shows there is something wrong but I just don't know what else to do. Please help.

Thank you,
    Victor.

I'm wondering how you installed your distro? Was it from a DVD or a CD? ALSA should be on as a program binary, and you don't need to compile from source. If you have the installation disk, you should just be able to select ALSA from there ...

You don't need to ./configure your sound driver either. It's probably sitting around on your system already.

Have you tried going into the Mandrake Control Centre - under Configure? Don't try anything too complicated is all I'm saying. Use the front end stuff first.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

ALSA Woes

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I installed my Mandrake distro from a 3-CD set. Basically, the first thing I did was to try to configure my sound card using conventional configuration utilities.

Trouble is that at startup, when I switched to Verbose mode, my sound card wasn't recognized said something like: "Sound card loading:" [FAILED] and I only saw ALSA driver being loaded after I installed it myself as I didn't see it being included with the distro. If it was, I guess "alsamixer" command should have functioned by default like "gcc" commands and so on.

I've read over the site you provided and tried various troubleshooting techniques, but for some reason I can't activate my sound card although the driver for it EMU10KX was assigned. Oh well. I'll just keep pounding away.

Thank you,
    Victor.

This is very mysterious! Do you think it's possible that your card might not be inserted properly? It probably isn't this, but it never pays to overlook the obvious. The first issue seems to be that your card isn't being picked up by the OS

If your motherboard has sound support built in, I would also go into the BIOS (they are different from one machine to the next as you know) and disable onboard sound. In a perfect world we'd all be using the same hardware

You might like to try the lsmod command if you feel like it. This might list your sound driver. I don't often use it myself, but it may provide useful information.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

ALSA Woes

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I use a WinXP/Mandrake dual boot and the sound card works fine in my Windows XP. I think I tried that command and the driver was EMU10KX. In fact, in Mandrake configuration I had a sound driver shown and I tried other ones like Audigy or something like that. Maybe Mandrake is not meant to work on my system. Can you recommend any other good distros?

Thank you,
    Victor.

Re: ALSA Woes

Quote Originally Posted by victorsk
    Can you recommend any other good distros?
    I would use SuSe if I wasn't using Mandrake. I would be tempted to buy a commercial copy as well. I hear the Yast installer is very good.

If you're not using Mandrake 10.1 Official release, you might consider using that: fewer bugs than the Community edition.

The sound driver (or 'module') I'm using is snd-emu10k. That and a Soundblaster Live! card coupled up to 50 watt Altek Lansing speakers.

You're also booting Windows XP? I use that at work

Just Joined!

ALSA Woes

Hi,

Yes, I've mostly used windows XP although my university CS courses were all on Unix. I installed Linux because I needed to use its networking libraries to write an FTP application. The other problem that I encountered yesterday was that after I uninstalled Office packages from Mandrake, I wasn't able to start KDE desktop at all! Now when I boot I get the login screen and I enter a desktop-less screen where I need to click a mouse to get menus up - very weird. Oh well, at least I have XP. I am still a Linux fan so I'll just install Suse when I have time. Thank you very much for your time.

Thank you,
    Victor.

I thought you might have used UNIX or something because you weren't as worried about using the console as many newbies seem to be

I feel guilty, because I've not had anything like the problems you've had with Mandrake. It runs like a dream. Not that I'm boasting