Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
After installing Mandrake 10 to its own partition (which was already sized using BootIt NG), and making sure to install Lilo to the same partition so that BootIt would still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10 kernel panic on startup - partitioning issues?

After installing Mandrake 10 to its own partition (which was already sized using BootIt NG), and making sure to install Lilo to the same partition so that BootIt would still work, I got error messages very similar to those described here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...panic+mandrake

Forgive me for asking newbie questions (this is the first time I've installed Linux, and the first time I've tried a dual boot with anything other than windows), but I'm not sure how to get the logs of the messages at startup, nor how to get to the Lilo conf file from outside of Mandrake (if it's necessary in this case).

Please help...

what is bootit?

try installing lilo to the MBR and then add an entry for windows during the setup for lilo.

Just Joined!
    BootIt is a boot manager - much easier to use than Partition Tragic. ^_^

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by adding an entry.

First time I installed Mandrake on its own partition, I let Lilo be installed to be MBR and that overwrote BootIt, and I found (via BootIt's support) that they can only co-exist if Lilo is installed in the first sector of the Mandrake partition.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok from bootit's site, i deduce that it seems to do the same job as lilo. When you get to the step about selecting where to install lilo, select the MBR (You don't really need bootit, atleast try without bootit and see if linux and windows can coexist).

I am making a few assupptions here:
    1. Your C: drive is created at the 1st sector and extends for a certain size.
    see the below image of sorts as an example
    1st Sector Last Sector
    __________________________________________________ _______
    | hda1 Windows | hda2 Linux \ | hda3 Linux Swap |
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. When installing lilo, you have the option of adding another OS. There should be a button called edit or add? Press this button. Give it a label e.g. Windows_XP and a mount point or table as /dev/hda. Also if you want Windows to be default OS, remember to select the default checkbox.

Just Joined!
    I'll try that tonight and see how it goes, thanks. ^_^

Just Joined!
    I tried that and it does indeed work. I haven't fully explored the partitioning app available within Mandrake, but hopefully it will allow me to resize all the partitions in the future so I won't need BootIt (right?)

Thanks for your help. ^_^

Just Joined!
    I hope you also remembered to make a swap partition. It should be about 2 and half times your total RAM up to 512 MB and after that, equal to it.

If you have 256 MB of RAM then you should make at least a 512 MB swap partition.

Just Joined!
    I hope you also remembered to make a swap partition.
    Yes, I did. I have 256MB of RAM so I made a nice round 600MB swap partition. I thought it only had to be twice the size, so should I use DiskDrake to increase it to 640? Mandrake is running fine as is though.

Now I just have to fix Lilo from the install CDs because I reinstalled Windows on the Windows partition (so I could resize it and thus resize my data partition ^_^). *sighs and rolls eyes at general uncooperativeness of Windows*

Just Joined!
    I would just leave it the way it is. I don't use graphic intensive programs like games or photo editing, but I always put a 512 MB swap partition on each of my disks. I got into that habit when I was doing RAID, and all my disks were identical.

I always use standard sizes: e.g. 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc. This helps a great deal when I'm partitioning a disk. IOW, I divide the available number of GB on a new drive by 1024, and decide how to size each partition.

For an 80 GB drive:

/ - 30 GB = 30720 MB (this includes /usr)
    /home - 26 GB = 26624 MB (several users)
    /var - 16 GB = 16384 MB
    swap2 - 512 MB

Actually, no matter if you are running RAID 5 and have 5 hard drives, you still only need one swap partition for each computer. If you make a swap for each drive like I do, then you can stripe them in /etc/fstab like this:

/dev/hda4 swap swap defaults,pri=1 0 0
    /dev/hdc3 swap swap defaults,pri=1 0 0

This will increase access time, but could amount to some loss if you have to hot-swap on RAID.

In any case, even though I have 512 MB set aside, I have never used more that 100 MB of it, even with 2 remote logins + myself on the server.

Basically, it just needs to be there.

HTH

Michael

Just Joined!

My successful dual boot configuration!

In case this helps anyone else, I'll post details of my success here.

I managed to keep BootIt in the MBR and have Lilo work too by using the Boot Edit feature in BootIt. When I installed Mandrake, I installed Lilo to the Mandrake partition. For the Mandrake boot in BootIt, I set the Mandrake partition as first, followed by the Data partition (in FAT32, so Windows and Linux can both read and write it), and hid Windows XP from it. Everything works beautifully.

I do recommend using a 3rd party boot manager rather than the Disk Management feature in XP (if anyone cares for my opinion ) because I just don't trust windows. :P By the way, I've never used Partition "Tragic" but BootIt worked perfectly for me as long as I knew what I was doing. Whatever you do for partitioning, the key is research (I spent a week researching and backing up first).

Now that I'm a teensy weensy bit less of a n00b, thanks to spr0t from the wise people here, I wanted to share my success with everyone. Thanks people ^_^

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast