Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 3 HD's an 80Gb and 2x250 Gb. I have an ASUS P4P800-E motherboard and Mandrake Linux 10.1. I have installed the system on the 80gb drive and trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Roo
    Just Joined!

RAID install on 10.1

I have 3 HD's an 80Gb and 2x250 Gb. I have an ASUS P4P800-E motherboard and Mandrake Linux 10.1. I have installed the system on the 80gb drive and trying to setup the other two identical 250gb drives as RAID1.
    I have 80Gb and CDROM on IDE and 2x250's on the other. Is this the correct setup?

Once the system is installed I can got to the Mandrake control center and see that the 3 hd's are there, I can format the 2 drives and then add them to a RAID, but the raid is listed as unformatted, when I re-boot the system the raid has dissapeared, and I get a message that the RAID cannot be loaded.

Does anyone have a simple howto?

thanks

roo

Usually RAIDed drives have their own IDE channel i.e. in your case 80 G = IDE 1; CDROM = IDE 2; 250G 1 = IDE 3 and 250 G 2 = IDE 4.

My suggestion would be to setup the RAID drive during Install and not after. Load the drivers when prompted during install and setup the RAID system there.

Roo
    Just Joined!

RAID install on 10.1

Hi Alex

I've tried that but although i can format the two drives as linux RAID, once the system boots the two drives are recognised as formatted however, they are not in RAID. Mandrake control centre will then allow me to add the two drives to form RAID md0 but will not format the RAID so it is not possible to mount. I have tried using the onboard IDE RAID controller but the drives are not recognised for an installation. I have the drivers on the installation CD for the board, but the system never asks for the drivers.

Many thanks for your reply.

Roo

Thats strange, cos when i usually install, the first thing it asks is if i want to add SCSI or RAID drivers. the drivers on cd are probably for windows, you can try getting linux drivers from here http://www.opendrivers.com/

Roo
    Just Joined!
    hi Alex

it doesnt ask for the drivers.

rachel

did you try expert install?

Roo
    Just Joined!
    Hi Alex

yeah have tried that - (went onto opendrivers.com a few days ago)

rachel

Ok try the expert install, if that doesn't work try setting up the raid with something like partitoin magic.

Another thing is that distro's like Debian or Red Hat (Fedora) allow you to setup raid during install. I remember Mandrake always used to ask me if I wanted to set up RAID during install even though my Mobo doesn't have RAID capability.

Roo
    Just Joined!
    Hi Alex

I managed to find some info on a different site and it appears to be working.

thanks for your help tho - much appreciated.

rachel

no problemo, sorry that i couldn't help you more.