Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Despite the fact that I've been having difficulties making Mandrake work properly, I am not going to give up on it and try to make it work. So, my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake KDE

Hello,

Despite the fact that I've been having difficulties making Mandrake work properly, I am not going to give up on it and try to make it work. So, my recent problem has been this.

I uninstalled some Office and Publishing packages and for reasons beyond my comprehension I can no longer get into my KDE desktop environment. What I get is login screen, then a blue screen with nothing on it and only when I click a mouse do menus come up. And even then, only "exit" option works.

So, I am totally confused: how could unistalling Office and Publishing packages so drastically affect the system? And, is there a way to fix it without reinstalling the whole OS? I wouldn't want to do this because I am dual booting with XP and I am risking compromising bootloader settings.
    Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Just Joined!
    I got some advice in the past on this subject

From a console as root
    Code:
    startx

or, just enter also as root
    code:
    kde
    Let us know if it works.

Just Joined!

Mandrake KDE

Hi,

Nope, that didn't work. I'll have to re-install the whole thing. Any ideas why this could happen?

Thanks,
    Victor.