Find the answer to your Linux question:
Could anyone please let me know how i can initialise my dial-up modem on startup without having to go to another run-level and type in slmodemd to initialise it before ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to make a command run at startup?

Could anyone please let me know how i can initialise my dial-up modem on startup without having to go to another run-level and type in slmodemd to initialise it before it can work? Thanks, Rob.

place a shell script to do it in /etc/init.d and place a symlink to it in /etc/rc5.d (assuming that's your default level)

Just Joined!
    Ah laker donald!! You come to my aid again, it was you who helped me install the relevant modem software just after new-year when i fist started with linux and i had a lot of trouble getting it to go online in the first place. Thanks again. Please could you tell me how to make a shell script that would do the job or of anywhere where i can learn this? Also i am using mandrake 10 is RC5 my run-level? My graphical one comes up once i press ctrl-alt 7. is that then my run-level? Thanks for your tolerance of an amateur!

Cheers,

Rob

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    okay, make a file (let's call it modem-init), and open it up in a text editor.
    type in:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    then press enter and enter the commands necessary to initialize the modem, seperating each command with a newline.
    then move that file to /etc/init.d as root, and type:
    Code:
    chmod +x /etc/init.d/modem-init
    ln /etc/init.d/modem-init /etc/rc5.d/modem-init
    and you should be fine.