Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I have a simila condition: I had to swap my HD with MDK10.0 into another comp. due to a defective mainboard. Everything is fine except I can't re-install Lilo to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I have a simila condition: I had to swap my HD with MDK10.0 into another comp. due to a defective mainboard. Everything is fine except I can't re-install Lilo to boot my Hda5 (were root is located).

Similar to Sabin's problem, I need to know where Lilo is intalled (I had reinstalled after doing an upgrade from my MDK10.0 CDrom.). I even did it from the command line with

#lilo -M

which is supposed to put Lilo in the MBR can anyone confirm this?

Dalani,
    After moving the hard drive. did you use the Mandrake install cd's to upgrade? Did you update your LiLo.conf file?

Sabin, I am glad you got it worked out
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    yes i did use the mdk10.0 install cd

and redid lilo which showed all my vmlinuz files in conf.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Does the other OS on that hard drive boot correctly?
    Does "Lilo install /dev/hda" do anything?
    What are the exact errors you receive when you try to boot MDK?
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

One possibility, do you have juste one hard disk in your central unit, or plenty of hard disks with plenty of partitions on them ?

If you got plenty of disks, you might have chosen, AFTER the beginning of Lilo installation, to mount Lilo on the wrong disk.
    In my case, I installed Linux to hda1, but had to mount Lilo to hde1 (or was it hdf1, I already forgot).

How to know on what partition install Lilo is another question ? Not necessarily easy to find what hd## is the hard disk that the mainboard will boot.
    In earlier steps of the installation, while DiskDrake was proposed, I used it to find the hard disk that my motherboard booted (luckily, none of my 5 hard disks are the same size, so finding was easy, i used disk size to make sure), and that was the disk I asked Lilo to be mounted into.

Hope that helps.

Linux Newbie
    I have two HD on my computer and have no trouble listing my partitions:
    with command line I just do #mount then I got the list of partitions and all mounted disks:

hda5 is linux root, hda6 is swap partition, and hda7 is my home data partition. my window partition is shown as hda1 a vfat file sys. hdb is my other disk also a vfat sys.

My windows partition no longer boots at all. The Lilo boot screeen never shows up at all.

Correction: I did not reinstall my MDK10.0 as new but did an upgrade to allow me to config Lilo.

O.K you took the hard drive out of one pc and put it into another that already had a hard drive..
    So which hard drive is hda and which hard drive is hdb?
    Hda should be the first hard drive on the primary ide controller.
    Hdb should be the second hard drive on the primary ide cable or the first hard drive on the secondary ide controller.

I hope this makes sense to you.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

If you NEED to run your windows, there's the good old trick, you can "destroy" the edits to the MBR with windows's installation CD, chosing to repair in install, launch the msdos console, and do chkdsk /fixmbr, if I remember right. With that you'd have a windows-only MBR, and you could at least use your MSwindows, until you can configure Lilo right again.

And for Lilo, I suggest an incremental installation of Lilo.
    Boot with mandrake's CD and chose to upgrade.
    Chose to mount it into the first available partition.
    If it does not work, upgrade again, chose to mount into the next available partition.
    You'll necessarily (I hope) end up with Lilo in the right partition, no ?

Linux Newbie
    Budman7 One of the first things I did was make sure my hda drive (containg root at had5) was installed as Primary in IDE controller and my second drive hdb was secondary (dip switches set and all that stuff). The new computer had a tiny 2gig HD which I removed.

Sabin, I would gladly reinstall Win98 if I could but the only install disks I have is MDK10.00 (which I purchased as part of an introductory Linux book). The Win98 os was in the computer already when bought. As an aside, that is one reason I prefer Linux: because I have the install disk complete and hardcopy documentation at a reasonable price. (try buying WinXp or any other OS the same way).

Incremental Lilo? What I need is more info on the #Lilo -M (the -M switch is supposed to make an MBR Lilo can understand.. right?)

Try this
    Code:
    /sbin/lilo -M /dev/hda
    I typed
    Code:
    man lilo
    to get that info
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast