Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, My computer has a LAN connection and after setting up all parameters - IP, DNS, Gateway, etc.. i'am not able to load Web pages or these pages are loading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet connection problems...

Hi,

My computer has a LAN connection and after setting up all parameters - IP, DNS, Gateway, etc.. i'am not able to load Web pages or these pages are loading very slow. I.e Yahoo.com. Others are loading very quick ( google, ethereal.com). I did the same test from Windows XP and Knopix and there are no problems. I'm currently using Mandrake 10.1 . Any suggestion?
    The traceroute shows me that the 4-5 hop didn't answer. I noticed some checksum errors in the sniffer. Is this a known issue....

P.S. - I'm using a nonroutable IP address 192.168.7.174 mapped one to one ( using NAT ) to a routable address

Thanks
    Bogdan

Linux Enthusiast
    Are you using a local DNS server, it sounds like it might be a problem with that... what's the output of:
    Code:
    route

Just Joined!
    The DNS is 192.168.254.168 but I think it just forward the request

Code:
    root@gogu root]# route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.7.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
    default         192.168.7.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    [root@gogu root]#

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    first, post your /etc/conf.d/net.eth0 file, and try going between dhcp and static configuration, and make sure that portmap is running, just type 'portmap' without quotes in the terminal.

Just Joined!
    There is no file you mentioned, but I supposed this is what you want. I changed the METRIC from 10 to 30, BTW I'm posting this messages from my Linux and I have no traceroute to linuxforums.org It is so slow.....

[root@gogu root]# more /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.7.174
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.7.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.7.255
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=30
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
    [root@gogu root]#

Just Joined!
    I'd be interested in a solution as well, I've been hunting around for a couple of weeks trying to find a fix to the same issue.

I've tried pretty much everything that I've found out on the Web and I'm nearly at wits end.

Have you tried using a DNS that your ISP gave you? or a public DNS server. In my DNS servers, i have my ISP's dns servers, and my connection is working nicely. It could be that your internal DNS server doesn't have that many entries, so if u ask it to translate say www.google.com to an ip it is taking a long time because it then has to figure it out (if it knows how)
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    I looked into my router's firewall security log and located my ISP's two DNS server addies.
    I then used Mandrake control center to manually build a new lan connection under Network and Internet.
    I plugged in the two DNS server numbers I found as DNS servers one and two. Is there some way to confirm that Mandrake isn't ignoring the new DNS's?
    I seem to be having mixed results, but essentially I established a static IP connection with my router. I'll have to keep plugging away at it.

Thanks.

u built a new lan connection? So u essentially have eth0 and eth1? If u want to use internal DNS to resolv local computer names, just add the local DNS server to a new line on the end of /etc/resolv.conf after the word name server eg;

Code:
    nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    but change xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to the local DNS server
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    I have only eth0 and no internal DNS. The DNS that ISP has gave me does only caching ( i guess ). The small number of entries doesn't explain why form Knopix and XP works fine..

finklewicz - did you try another OS on the same connection?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast