Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm gonna install 10.1 when it finishes downloading here, but i have a couple questions. right now i have xp pro on my 60 gb and i have a 12 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newb installing mandrake 10.1

i'm gonna install 10.1 when it finishes downloading here, but i have a couple questions. right now i have xp pro on my 60 gb and i have a 12 gb that is empty. when i load up the mandrake cd, it will give me the option where to install it, so i'll pick the 12, will i have to partition it? and once it is installed will i have the option of dual boot, is there something i have to do for dual boot, because i dont want to lose my windows. thanks

brad

Just Joined!
    When you install just make sure that you do not "Erase the entire disk" when you get to the partitioning options. The help files are really helpful:
    http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandrak...tionDisks.html

good luck

To dual boot:
    I assume you have the 60G set up as the primary drive and the 12G as the secondary drive.

When you get to the lilo installation, tell the system to install lilo to the MBR of the 60G drive (hda in linux). Also you should add an entry in the lilo setup for microsoft windows. Add a label Windows and tell the partition table is /dev/hda.

This should get linux to dual boot successfully

good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It always makes sense to put a swap partition in there, but there is an option to divide remaining space automatically. This is usually a decent idea cos Mandrake does it well. But I actually also had a 60GB disk with 12GB left also - It's a fine setup but as you start to use Linux more you may find that the / and /home partition aren't balanced nicely. You may run out of space to install apps and have loads of home space or vice versa. I would recommend with 12GB that you assign about 512MB as swap and leave the rest as one big root ( / ) partition.

Just Joined!
    Sorry Dunk, but I 'm newbie in Linux and I don't understand your answer.

I'm in a similar situation, I have a 50 Gb HDD with Windows and a 8Gb HDD in which I want to install Mandrake. My 8Gb HDD is currently formatted with a windows partition but I want to destroy it (with no modification on partition about my 50 Gb HDD).

So, after selecting the 8Gb HDD, I must select "erase the entire disk" ? Correct ? This command will only erase the 8Gb HDD and don't modify my 50 Gb HDD.

After, may I configure LILO ou GRUB to select the operating system ? Linux on 8Gb HDD or Windows 50 Gb HDD ?

Thanks for all

Eric

elewandowski, you have it exactly right.

Have fun.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elewandowski
    I'm in a similar situation, I have a 50 Gb HDD with Windows and a 8Gb HDD in which I want to install Mandrake.
    After, may I configure LILO ou GRUB to select the operating system ? Linux on 8Gb HDD or Windows 50 Gb HDD ?
    I also have an 80 and a 10. My Linux FC3 is on the 80 occupying 40 gig.

I want to load MDK 10.1 (actually a reload) on the other half of the 80 and load WP2000 on the 10.

Is this doable?

What do I have to do to select OS upun bootup or on restart if that also is possible?

I'm new to command line so please be gentle.
    Thanks.