Find the answer to your Linux question:
-.- I get out of one problem and.. well... here we go again. So... When I log on from the command prompt (or even GUI! Just doesn't show me the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Login Issues: /etc/profile: Permission Denied

-.- I get out of one problem and.. well... here we go again.
    So... When I log on from the command prompt (or even GUI! Just doesn't show me the text) as any user that is not "root", I get this:

Code:
    Last Login: (Weekday, date, time) on :0
    -bash:/etc/profile: Permission Denied
    -bash-2.05b$
    I tried using "chmod 777 /etc/profile" on it but it still does not give permission (and I thought I might be able to fix it on my own too ) and after plenty of messing with permissions I got tired and pissed (a little bit from column A, a little from column B) so CTRL + ALT + DELETE I went.

Can someone help me with this? Using root all the time scares me. *Hides from almighty Linux*

Just Joined!
    Still no reply? I should probably be more ppatient..

What about the permissions on your actual /etc folder? They should be set to 755. I've seen incorrect permissions on /etc screw all kinds of things up.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thank you muchly! Problem solved, though I kinda wish I figured it out by myself... But now I have a fully working Linux! Except one last problem, which I'll complain about in a new topic.