Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello people, im kind of a linux newbie and i stumbled upon this problem. The first time i installed Mandrake 10.1 it worked just fine but after 5 or 6 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Plain blue screen after boot

Hello people, im kind of a linux newbie and i stumbled upon this problem. The first time i installed Mandrake 10.1 it worked just fine but after 5 or 6 restarts and boot ups it started giving me a plain black screen after the start up procedure and the OK-ing process instead of the log in screen. There's no mouse pointer and none of the keys work, F1, Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc. etc. Anyhow i reinstalled Mandrake and it worked fine again until i got up to 5 or 6 boot ups and started getting a blue screen this time. (i guess it's the same problem) so now i know that reinstalling Mandrake won't help. I tried "failsafe" and running INIT 3 from there because i cant do that by booting up normally since i get the blue screen and keyboard keys dont wokr. Anyhow i tried runlevel INIT 3 and i get the log in screen through this one, i log in and type startx and then i get the blue screen again.
    Maybe it's got somethin to do with the X configuration but i don't know what to do, please guys help me out with this i really need it working.
    Thanks in advance

Linux Guru
    It won't quit working on it's own after a few start ups; something must have been changed. Where you adjusting the video settings or editing some config files? If you can be as specific as possible about what you were doing, that would be a great help.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    hmm nothing unusual that i can remember of Jeremy, haven't changed anything in the video configuration. Ohhhh okey i just remembered something, it might have something to do with it. I have both windows and linux and i had the bootloaer from mandrake installed. anyhow my windows ****ed up so i burnt all the files on dvd's through mandrake and then i formatted the harddrive that has windows on it but then when i started up windows for the first time i noticed that the bootloader was gone and i couldn't choose which OS to load, XP would load automatically because it installed it's bootloader i suppose. i then inserted Mandrake 10.1 installation dvd went into the options, typed "rescue" and re-installed the mandrake boot loader so i would have linux as an option at start up.
    I started getting the blue screen after this, the first time i tried i got a blue screen so it's since then, this might help you ? i hope so

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I take it that you have two hard drives then?

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    yes i do, 40gb (windows) and 10 (mandrake)

Linux Guru
    It's possible that when you re-installed Windows, it managed to mess up your MDK installation. I know that if you were installing them on the same hard-drive, you'd have to make sure to install windows first else it would destroy your Linux partition. Maybe it's the same principle for the dual drives, I don't know.

Anyone?

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    oh seriosly? i didn't know about this. well maybe someone else can post a comment and a possible solution if they know something more.