Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi! I came up with some problems after I updated my system (KDE, Gnome and more), now KDE, Gnome or any window manager wont boot. I can explain where the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help please! Can't boot a session in GUI.

Hi!
    I came up with some problems after I updated my system (KDE, Gnome and more), now KDE, Gnome or any window manager wont boot. I can explain where the problem is if that's simpler;
    First of all when the login screen shows up I choose a user and then put in it's password, I've tried with root too. Then I choose a window manager and click on login, but the window manager won't boot. The only thing that happens is that the X server restarts (turns black for a few moments) and then comes back to the login window again.
    Please any help would be good.

When u say the login window, is that the graphical login or the command line login?

If it's the command line login, i get this error when i've updated something and need to reinstall my nvidia drivers to sort it out.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    It's in the Graphical login I get the error, but just a thought, if I start the fail-safe mode I actually can type startx and will then login to KDE.

is it an nvidia card u got as a graphics card? That does sound to me like it's a case of havin to reinstall the drivers. Cos if u go to failsafe mode it (more than likely) wont use the nvidia module, but the default module instead.

If u use an nvidia card, try loggin into the console as root, and reinstalling the nvidia card drivers.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Well... I don't have a NVidia card, I have a S3 Trio 3D. But maybe it's something wrong with the login manager, since I couldn't restart or halt by pressing those buttons (nothing happened).
    Please help me with this, I really need to get it running again.

Linux Guru
    Since you can login and startx, try switching login managers. You do that in MCC.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Agreed. The Mandrake login manager doesn't give you anything that kdm doesn't anyway.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I can't seem to find where you change the login manager, is it in the Computer configuration or Desktop configuration?

It's in System -> Display Manager. If you want to use KDM instead of Mandrake's login manager or XDM though, you'll probably have to install it with something like
    Code:
    urpmi kdebase-kdm
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much! I got it running now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast