Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everybody, I want to know if this happens to anyone else. I often install progams using rpms. (yes, because im slow and lazy) After I install a program I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Where O, Where are my shortcuts...

Hey everybody,
    I want to know if this happens to anyone else. I often install progams using rpms. (yes, because im slow and lazy) After I install a program I normaly restart my computer out of habbit. The problem is that even though the programs have been installed there are noooo shortcuts placed anywhere. So, Those programs are basically useless to me because I wounldn't even know what kind of file to look for to link a shortcut to.
    The Program that I'm focusing on now is webCDwriter. ( http://joerghaeger.de/webCDwriter/ ) I download the the rpm, installed it, restarted my TWO mandrake boxes and they both have the files installed (im pretty sure) but no shortcuts?
    Could somebody just tell me what kind of file the shortcut has to be linked to?
    Thanks,
    Nikosapi

Sorry I'm new to Linux but I'm eager to learn.

Just Joined!
    to run the program fro ex. webcdwriter go into the console and write the name of the program or right click and "run command" and type the name of the program and it will run, im a total newbie too and i dont have shortcuts either (dont know how to create them too) but that? how i run my programs

Linux Newbie
    I've tried that and it normaly doesn't work, as is the case with webCDwriter. and to add shortcuts you have to right click on the start button thing and select menu editor. but you have to know what file to point it to and thats my problem.

Thanks,
    Nikosapi

Linux Guru
    Looks like it's a java program. That might be were the difficulty lies. A few things to note...

1) Linux will *never* create shortcuts on the desktop or the menu for you, you'll always have to do them your self. This is a good thing.

2) Usually, the command line name of the progam is similar to the rpm name. Try typing web+[tab] and see if one of the entries is similar to the one you need. If it's a true java program, you'll have to start it by

java -jar filname.jar

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude