Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all. I just purchased a new digital camera with digital video also and i have no idea how to set up mi linux box to be able to read ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sony Cybershot Camera

Hi all.

I just purchased a new digital camera with digital video also and i have no idea how to set up mi linux box to be able to read the memory stick. I know so far that a module is needed, but for me this is totally new. Please guide in the right direction as to be able to get the pictures and videos out of the camera and also very important, how to properly remove the device - kinda like the safely remove hardware from windows (this part for me is of serious importance cause i don't want to screw up mi new camera).

Thanks in advanced for all your help, it's always appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Very simple. just plug in the camera and you should get an icon on the Desktop called Sony. I have Sony CyberShot DCS-P41 and dont have any problem with it. You dont need any module here just plug in the camera. And to properly remove the camera just right click on the icon on the Desktop and Umount, and then you can unplug the camera. Pure and simple.
    Regards.

My god, it's so simple it's hard to believe. Just like in windows.

Does it matter what version of mandrake you have? I currently use 9.1 with no extra upgrades. I'll try it up and see what happens.

I just connected the camera to the computer and nothing appeared anywhere. I just get the 'USB Mode Normal' on the LCD screen from the camera. And now i don't know how to unplugg it since there is no icon or way to safely remove the hardware.

In other words: HELPPP!!!!!

mounting and unmounting the camera is just like mounting or unmounting any other USB based storage device. Create the valid fstab entries and the device should magically appear.

I remember something about sda1 when mounting the USB stick. I don't know if it applies but i have no further ideas. Lets try a little bit more, though i doupt i would make it happen.

mounting the camera is exactly the same as mounting the usb stick. simply type mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb into a termianl and it will be mounted to /mnt/usb.

Likewise you should edit your fstab file to have something like this:
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

Note sometimes /dev/sda1 is created only when the system detects the storage device during boot time. So plug the camera in and turn it on before boot.

I can't find sda1.

I also found some command on a different linux version called 'mesg' or something like that. It had a few entries that said that the device had some problems, something like driver not found or loaded.

I guess i need some other module. I typed lsmod to find which module should be loaded but none for this device appear to be running.

I guess i'll try to mount it as simple as performing the mount thing.

I'll write back later on to tell the story.

Well, i tried putting the camera in before booting the computer up. I noticed a different message during the boot messages at the beggining and modprobe failed. I guess some special drivers or a special module is needed.

I've been trying to mount this thing and so far no luck. I plugged in the device before linux boots up, sda1 still no appearing. I guess i need something else. Or just to download a newer version of mandrake.

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

Just Joined!
    same problem here..

Sony DSC-S40
    Mandrake

Tried booting up w/ the camera plugged in.. in both PTP and normal USB mode. /dev/sda1 still does not exist.

tried gphoto2, tried digikam, nothing

the real crap thing is, I tried an old Sony camera (about 3 years old). I plug it up, "camera" pops up on my desktop, and I can get to the picts. W/ my new camera... nothing. really starting to bother me.. I JUST bought this thing today, and I can't get my picts off of it w/out Windoze.

Anyone have 1) any other ideas how to get picts or 2) any 4MegaPix cameras that they know will work w/ Mandrake?

Just Joined!
    I had problems in mandriva LE/2005 and this worked for me.

In MCC boot, options for boot - enable acpi, reboot and camera recognised in digicam. I have sony DSC-W1 and it recognised as F707 or something. Might work for you too.

USB memory card and mouse also now working.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast