Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I installed Mandrake 10.1 Download, everything was fine - started using Gaim .8 no bother at all. Had a gander at sourcefourge and noticed Gaim were up to 1.2.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gaim-1.2.1-0mdk10.0

Hello,

I installed Mandrake 10.1 Download, everything was fine - started using Gaim .8 no bother at all.

Had a gander at sourcefourge and noticed Gaim were up to 1.2.1 - downloaded it, removed .8 and tried to install from the Control Center Errors as follows:

Code:
    The following packages have bad signatures: gaim-1.2.1-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm: Invalid signature ((SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#4c29cfcc NOT OK)
    Do you want to continue installation?
    Naturally you select yes ...

Then ...

Code:
    There was a problem during the installation: file usr/lib/libgaim-remote.so.0.0.0 from install of gaim-1.2.1-0mdk10.0 conflicts with file from package libgaim-remote0-0.82.1-2.1.101mdk
    Whats worse is that I cant even install .8 again- it just wont let me!

SO there's me dilemma - any ideas? I'm the proverbial Windows Monkey - new to Linux and struggling to comprehend all the dots n dashes

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Foxed

Code:
    rpm -iv --force gaim-1.2.1-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm

Just Joined!
    Worked a treat. Thanks very much

Now, er, for learning purposes what did it do? Essentially force it to ignore the bad signature?

Regards,
    Foxed

No, what it did was replace the conflicting files instead of *****ing about them. And by the way, why don't you use "urpmi" to manage/install your packages? It handles dependencies and everything.

Just Joined!
    Honestly? Because I've never heard of it before

I'm a proper new person - off to hunt Google about urpmi though - Thanks again

No problem. I've never used MDK myself but i've heard of it (the urpmi system) so I can't really help you with it.

hal
    Just Joined!
    urpmi is such a great tool! if you have broadband connection, you should go here:
    http://www.mandrakeusers.org/easyurpmi/
    first, in order to set the sources for updates. then, whenever you need something, even if you dont know well the name of the package, you type:
    Code:
    $ urpmi <package-name>
    if the name you input is ambiguous, urpmi will display a list of packages that match for you to choose from! by the way, to unnistall stuff you can use 'urpme' in the very same way. remember to use them as root.