Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running mandrake 10.1 and I have installed apache and it is running. my goal eventuallyis to have an in house web server, local fileserver, email server, and public wifi ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

your opinions regarding server setups

I'm running mandrake 10.1 and I have installed apache and it is running. my goal eventuallyis to have an in house web server, local fileserver, email server, and public wifi hot spot server for the store.
    I just wanted the opinions of more knowledgable users on how I should handle these tasks.
    I downloaded a CD-based linux distro called "zoneCD" that handles the wifi users logins
    etc. and figured I would use a seperate machine for this.
    what modules,tools,additional programs, etc. would you suggest to realize these other tasks. I also need to be able to monitor and restrict web access to certain machines.
    we are a small cooperative and will have very minimal use of everything, using the email and fileserver the most.
    your input is much appriciated, as I am very new to these processes.

thanks!
    C.Poff

Mandrake makes filesharing easy. Look in the Mandrake Control Center...there's a module for enabling file sharing; after you enable sharing, you can literally just right-click on a folder and click on Share.

For the mail server, well, there are a lot of options. Do you want groupware or straight email?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    hi cp0ff

i found the stickied thereads on this post to be very informative for network setting up, esp for wireless :-

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=9

hope that helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

RE: email

flatline-
    I need to set up accounts for about a dozen email addresses at my domain for both in house and external use.

I know a lot of guys prefer qmail. There's a great tutorial on it here: http://www.shupp.org/toaster/

Make sure you run these commands before starting the tutorial:
    1. urpmi gdbm
    2. urpmi gdbm-devel
    3. urpmi openssl-0.9
    4. urpmi openssl-devel
    5. urpmi stunnel
    6. urpmi krb5-devel
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson