Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

your opinions regarding server setups

I'm running mandrake 10.1 and I have installed apache and it is running. my goal eventuallyis to have an in house web server, local fileserver, email server, and public wifi hot spot server for the store.
    I just wanted the opinions of more knowledgable users on how I should handle these tasks.
    I downloaded a CD-based linux distro called "zoneCD" that handles the wifi users logins
    etc. and figured I would use a seperate machine for this.
    what modules,tools,additional programs, etc. would you suggest to realize these other tasks. I also need to be able to monitor and restrict web access to certain machines.
    we are a small cooperative and will have very minimal use of everything, using the email and fileserver the most.
    your input is much appriciated, as I am very new to these processes.

thanks!
    C.Poff

Mandrake makes filesharing easy. Look in the Mandrake Control Center...there's a module for enabling file sharing; after you enable sharing, you can literally just right-click on a folder and click on Share.

For the mail server, well, there are a lot of options. Do you want groupware or straight email?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

hi cp0ff

i found the stickied thereads on this post to be very informative for network setting up, esp for wireless :-

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=9

hope that helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

RE: email

flatline-
    I need to set up accounts for about a dozen email addresses at my domain for both in house and external use.

I know a lot of guys prefer qmail. There's a great tutorial on it here: http://www.shupp.org/toaster/

Make sure you run these commands before starting the tutorial:
    1. urpmi gdbm
    2. urpmi gdbm-devel
    3. urpmi openssl-0.9
    4. urpmi openssl-devel
    5. urpmi stunnel
    6. urpmi krb5-devel
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson