Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newbie running MDK10.1 Discovery. As some of you may be aware I've got issue with getting my sagem modem working under linux - hence no ne t access. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting gcc & source

I'm a newbie running MDK10.1 Discovery.

As some of you may be aware I've got issue with getting my sagem modem working under linux - hence no ne t access. I see that I can download stuff from sagem but I need to do some compiling...

Sagem say compiler GCC must be installed, and the source of the linux core must also be installed.

Discovery doesnt have GCC.

Q - where can I get this from, and can I download it via windows (assume yes but everthing I've seen to date all comes via the mandrake update software)?

Q - How do I know if I've got source on my machine?

Thanks

You can go to this site: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

It will walk you through how to add internet sources to urpmi. The
    Code:
    main
    source for 10.1 will give you access to all the packages normally included in the "full" Mandrake. I also recommend adding the plf and contrib sources, as they give you access to all sorts of extra programs.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that.

So being a newbie just want to confirm 2 things.

It looks like this will only work if I have internet access via linux. Something I dont have currently but 'could' if I was able to compile the sagem package.

1 - Is there a way to get these packages downloaded via windows?

2 - If I was connected to the net, are these packages the same as would be downloaded via the mandrake update mechanism???

If you go through the site's "walkthrough", you will be able to see the ftp server's webb address at the end. You can copy and paste it into a browser and navigate to the site, where you can download whatever packages you need. The kernel source package is named kernel-source (you can check what version of the kernel you're running on your Mandrake box by running
    Code:
    uname -r
    and then pick the matching kernel-source package. There will be dependencies for gcc, though...I'll be at a Mandrake box in a couple of minutes and I'll try to look them up for you.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

binutils-2.15.90.0.3-1mdk, glibc-devel-2.3.3-23.1.101mdk,
    libbinutils2-2.15.90.0.3-1mdk

Those are your dependencies for gcc-3.4.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks flatline.

This will give me something to do this weekend now

Just Joined!
    Hi Flatline,

Wonder if you can give me some additional advice please?

I went through the walk through and when trying to get to the ftp site found the url provided was incorrect.

for main I was provided:

ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mand...586/media/main with media_info/

But I have to use the following (not an issues)

ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mand...86/media/main/

in here I can find hdlist.cz ( I assume this is gcc) and also the kernal source packages.

Howerver I cant seem to find all the dependencies you mention.

I can find binutils-2.15.90.0.3-1mdk.i586.rpm.

I cant find glibc-devel-2.3.3-23.1.101mdk or ibbinutils2-2.15.90.0.3-1mdk.

Once downloaded and transfered to linux, do I need to be in a certain directry to urpmi? Also do I need any special parameters ie urpmi main

Thanks for your help...

Since you're not actually installing from that urpmi source, you can use plain old rpm to install the files.

The
    with media_info/
    wasn't part of the url, rather it was information for urpmi to use.

I can see glibc-devel and libbinutils in the directory (the numbers at the end are slightly different because this source has apparently updated their packages - not necessarily a bad thing). ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mand...-1mdk.i586.rpm

ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mand...21mdk.i586.rpm

The gcc package in that directory is ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mand...-4mdk.i586.rpm

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    HI Flatline,

Managed to download nearly everything but have stumbled at one place.

I downloaded kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm and when I tried to do a rpm -i on this I was told that there was a dependent package - ncurses-devel.

I see that there is

libncurses5-devel-5.4-1.20040529.2mdk.i586.rpm

and also

libncursesw5-devel-5.4-1.20040529.2mdk.i586.rpm

on the ftp site.

Q - How do I know which dependencies I actually need?

Q - Is there a konsole command that I can use to find out all dependencies on a rpm or do I just have to do a download, try to install, do another download, try to install approach to see each dependednt rpm??

Thanks

Since you're using Mandrake, you can type
    Code:
    urpmi packagename>
    It will tell you what dependencies need to be installed and then ask if it's OK to try to grab them from an installation source. With your situation you won't be able to grab them, but it will show you the dependencies.

- Jeremy S. Anderson