Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed 10.1 several times and have not been able to get this machine working. After installing and rebooting for the first time, I get the bootloader. When loading linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blank screen on boot with 10.1 after fresh install

I've installed 10.1 several times and have not been able to get this machine working. After installing and rebooting for the first time, I get the bootloader. When loading linux from the menu, the bar moves to the end and the screen goes blank. The computer stays on, and does not reboot.

I have a Dell Dimension xps t600r with the STB nVidia TNT 1.1 video card.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Just Joined!

Blank screen

Verify that all of your H/W is both supported under 'Drake & properly configured. Use the Drake tools to configure your H/W--especially if you're a newbie.
    Use the drakconf command from a root shell to bring up the Mandrake control center.
    The MCC works fine in a shell although you won't have the 'eye candy' found in the GUI.

Just Joined!

blank screen

When I run the install, I am able to configure the hardware, is this not correct?

I am not able to get to the root shell. How do I do this?

Yes, I am a newbie to Linux.

Thanks!

Hi HDMK,

Welcom to Linux forums! I had a problem like this when I first used Mandrake 8.1 (before I upgraded to 10.1), it turned out to be the monitor that was incompatiable. i don't know if that's your issue, but do you have or can you borrow an older monitor to try your machine on?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    I often have had this problem and I think it has to do with the graphical theme that Mandrake boots up with. Try going to the Control Center and making sure that the Boot Theme is disabled then also configure the Boot Loader to use text menu and perhaps downgrade the video resolution under the advanced options. (I havn't had to reboot since making these changes so I do not know if it worked )

Just Joined!

blank screen

Thanks for all your help. I swapped out the video card with a different card, and it works great.

Thanks again!

Just Joined!
    I'm having the same problem, I've never used Linux before and I'm trying to install 10.1 on an HP Pavilion ZE4805US. I have an ATI Radeon IGP 320M and I don't see a driver for it in the installation configuration menu. So when I try to boot using Lilo every option besides windows boot is either a blank screen or it gets stuck at "ACPI : IRQ9 : Something Trigger" or something like that, and using Grub I got a bunch of 9s on the screen. How do I solve this?

Hi Dunx,

I have a similar issue with a monitor, can you look at my post? http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=

Thanks,

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633