Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello hello, Before I start explaining in details, I'll state the main question : Is it possible to install a powerpack 10.0 and upgrade its kernel and KDE with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

10.1 discovery <-> 10.0 powerpack transfers ?

Hello hello,

Before I start explaining in details, I'll state the main question :
    Is it possible to install a powerpack 10.0 and upgrade its kernel and KDE with a Discovery 10.1 ?
    Or is it possible to install a Discovery 10.1 and use the installation CDs of a Powerpack 10.0 to add in a few clicks all the development tools ?

Now, the details are coming :

The need for development tools

I have purchased a Mandrake Discovery 10.1 (because i'm a REAL newbie with Linux, I'll confess without shame), and i've been learning quite a few things until now.

Now that I start compiling programs for which the RPMs are not supplied or don't work even though they are mdk-configurated (showimg _), I discovered that it was a bloody hell to chose and install the development, coding, compiling libraries.

Even though I found a few websites being helpful about it, telling the newb what stuff he's supposed to have installed before he even thinks of doing a ./configure, make, make install, getting to the details is a living hell.

I even cause bugs installing that stuff myself, it seems <_<

Another example, I installed plenty of rpms, preparing myself for a compilation of a software called ShowImg and then later (I thought of preparing far away stuff) adding Xorg for an installation of nvidia acceleration drivers.
    After the process, I noticed the fonts of the mandrake control center and no other fonts (alt-f2, mcc) were one or two sizes smaller, and blazes! 45 minutes including a google search later I still hadn't found out how to make them back to their native size. Even using IceWM instead of KDE, the MCC had the same font size problem.
    I still haven't found how to solve that, I might have to format, no big problem, i'm here to learn though.

My solution : use a Mandrake Powerpack CD. Possible ?

A friend of mine owns a Mandrake Powerpack 10.0 CD pack, he had bought it, but he had quickly had given up on Mandrake, returning to WindowsXP. He has lent me his CDs to help.

I tried a brief installation on a formatted partition : wonderful!, the powerpack version seemed to contain all those gtk qt perl c++ pgcc libtools bison autoconf etcetera et tutti quanti...

But alas this is a Powerpack 10.0 while I own a Mandrake 10.1

Do you know if there's for me a way to still install the development tools included in the Powerpack version to my Discovery version ?

Or if a downgrade installation isn't allowed, maybe would it be possible to install Powerpack 10.0 and upgrade it with Discovery 10.1,
    so that the result would be a system containing the software of a powerpack, and the system and presentation of a discovery 10.1 ?

I know those questions sound a bit confused, but though, thanks for helping me if you can ^_^

Just Joined!
    Dont know if this link to a question posted by myself will help:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-39347.html

I also have discovery 10.1 and am now attempting to add in development tools....

BTW - can you list those web site you mentioned that gave details of how to compile etc etc. Might make my life easier

Well, Pengu, every of those websites are in french, so unless you're french yourself, you will have trouble

Just in case, I give the very very very best one : http://www.lea-linux.org
    If you want a complete list of Windows->Linux equivalent softwares, you can load http://www.lea-linux.org/logi (this is a much harder to find internal page).

I tried your link, but I don't think that is my problem : you talked about getting web updates. Unlike me : i'd like to use a Powerpack CD, ask for it to Upgrade my system, and in the things it would propose to add, I would chose the development tools. E.g. in five minutes and a dozen of clicks maximum, i'd have added what would have taken me hours downloading and chosing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Besides, I have tried something, booting my Discovery 10.1 with the Powerpack 10.0 CD1 : alas, it started the complete installation process, it did NOT propose to upgrade the installation.

I don't think what you're trying to do is possible. If you know exaclty what extra packages you need you might wanna trying installing them "by hands" from the rpm folder of the powerpack 10.0.
    Like mount the powerpack CD (whichever has the extra rpm you need) and from a terminal go to the folder where are all the rpm. Then try running "urpmi ./name-of-the-package.rpm" See if that works. If it does, you could possibly do that for all the extra-stuff you need.
    Are there some 10.1 only stuff you need? If not why don't you not simply use the 10.0 only?
    It might feel frustrating if you purchased the 10.1 discovery, but If you really need that dev stuff, that would do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin
    Well, Pengu, every of those websites are in french, so unless you're french yourself, you will have trouble
    Hum... since when do you have to be french to speak french?

Thanks for the tip, Jeickal

- Why not staying with a 10.0 powerpack ?
    Well, honestly I could not find a detailed change log from 10.0 to 10.1, and I don't know if kernel and security updates brought with 10.1 will also be proposed to 10.0 users. The best change log I found was that : http://www.mandriva.com/toprint/101-IA32-en.pdf
    If there's a new KDE, a new this and a new that announced to be with 10.1, will they be available through internet update for the users of a previous version ?
    If not, maybe, for security reasons, i'll be exposed.

- I'll definitely have to try adding the powerpack CDs as a media source, or else use them with urpmi command, who knows !
    But if I do so, i'll lose the main interest of the thing : when installing powerpack, among the things to install, it was possible to click development tools. And this single click contained a complete collection of the libs and toos needed. I'd like to be able to find that selection to make things faster :-/

Quote Originally Posted by sabin
    But if I do so, i'll lose the main interest of the thing : when installing powerpack, among the things to install, it was possible to click development tools. And this single click contained a complete collection of the libs and toos needed. I'd like to be able to find that selection to make things faster :-/
    Right, this is a very cool Mandrake feature, Then you're stuck using 10.0 only. Or maybe dual boot, do you dev stuff in the 10.0 and non-dev related in 10.1.
    About security and online update for 10.0, acording to this link below, Mandrake still support this version.
    http://www.mandriva.com/mandrakeonline?wslang=fr va la section "version de Mandrake Linux compatible*.
    Now about the "new this, new that" of 10.1: It is surely possible to upgrade your KDE and kernel version from the 10.0. I read a post about this in another forum.
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...60#post1579760
    Don't forget to first go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and follow instructions.
    If you still need more help, I suggest you start a new post asking for help about upgrading KDE version.