Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I would check out www.linuxcd.org if i were you. You can buy Linux cd's for 2 0r 3 dollars. And they ship fast, I think the one cd I ordered ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I would check out www.linuxcd.org if i were you. You can buy Linux cd's for 2 0r 3 dollars. And they ship fast, I think the one cd I ordered from them took about 3 days.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Heh, you posted just before I did. And there's another post as I typed this, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin from Dublin
    Hi Demonic Crusader,

Welcome to Linux foums! You can order a copy of SuSE 9.2 personal on DVD Rom from this website; www.linux-magazine.com

I use SuSE 9.2 Personal and it's excellent.When you're a newbie (like me) you are going to have a few 'disasters' as you learn Linux, don't let it discourage you. I've got 4 O.S. on my machine, 2 Windows/ 2 Linux, I had hell getting there but I promise you, it was all worth it in the end. Don't give up-that's the easy way out , keep trying and post here everytime you hit a problem. Remember to give us all as much info as you possibly can, including the specs of your machine, we all help each other out in here. I'm saying this to you 'cause I was ready to pack it in then changed my mind and tried once again. Now I've got a 'Dream Machine', who else has this many operating systems on one computer? (Having said that I'll probab;y be told that someone else has much more than me).

By the way, Tux doesn't hate you, you just haven't learnt yet how to keep him, he's a fussy penguin!

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Ah... ordering... Linux. *Scratches chin thoughtfully* What an intruiging proposition. Too bad I'm poor. Really... poor. My new machine costed me $1,200 and I'm... well, read above. But maybe I can scrape up some money and save myself the trouble? *Reads new post below on the topic review* SuSE Professional? Why would I need the professional one? How much more does it cost? I'm very low on money, and I have no internet on that machine so its not like I can use it for a server or even anything internet related so I don't see why I would need to buy a more expensive professional edition. And what are the benefits of SuSE, and have you ever had any trouble with it? If so, how?

All it costs is 12 Euros (US$ 12.99) or you can buy it from any magazine shop in the U.S. for about 12 dollars, not a lot of money really...

I'm using SuSE right now as I write and have never had a problem with it. The only reasons I've posted in the SuSE forum was to get more software and create a boot up floppy for it 'cause Mandrake couldn't boot it up for me.

It's up to you what you want to do, I'm just saying not to give up over one bad experience, once you get the hang of Linux you'll see where I'm coming from. Your call.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    Hm, 10$ plus 5$ S&H for an otherwise free disc that might not even work is a bit much for me (Yes, I'm cheap). If I was garunteed (which I spelled wrong.. *thinks about reaching for the dictionary, then slouches back over the keyboard*) that it would work, I would 'prolly get it, but... if it is anything like Mandrake *Beats Mandrake discs with a hammer* then it most likely not work. I'll most likely end up asking a friend to download and burn it for me.

I'll probably give Linux another shot. I may re-install Mandrake tomorrow. I imagine it can auto-detect the previously made Linux partitions, format them, and re-write everything.... c'rect?

Use the BitTorrent Linux Project:

http://www.tlm-project.org/

Basically, download a BitTorrent client (I highly recommend Azureus ( http://azureus.sourceforge.net )), then download the .torrent file from the TLM Project. You will basically not have to worry about a dropped connection or anything. It might take a while (took me about a day on cable over network; might take you a day or two), but it's a free, easy way to get Linux ISOs.

Also, if you can find a LiveCD of any distro, you can run the distro off of a bootable CD without installing anything. This is a good way to test out a distro before installing on your computer. I know SuSE offers such CD's, the most popular Linux of this sort is Knoppix.

EDIT:

And yes, Mandrake install will detect your partition. Tell it "Erase all Linux Partitions", and Mandrake will remove the existing partition and reinstall to that space.

Just Joined!

If U really want a FREE CD!!!

go to
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

And they'll giv u CDs 4 free, really post 2 ur address w/o a penny being charged!
    :P

Just Joined!
    Free eh? But nothing is free...

Yes, Cabhan, Bittorrent is great! I used it to download Mandrake.

I also already have Knoppix 3.7... as a matter of fact it is in my pocket right now. *Pulls it out and beholds its awesome glory*

I re-installed last night, messed around, restarted, messed around some more and restarted again, etc. etc. to see if it would crash after just basic use like it used to and it did not crash it all, but I won't say it's fixed... because then Tux will go on another tantrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin from Dublin
    Hi again,

You don't download SuSE Professional, the magazine post it out to you, or you can buy it in the shops......
    No, you can download SuSE Professional, and there is no "Personal" edition of 9.2. That's just what the magazines like to call it.

TechieMoe's Guide to SuSE Distributions
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2