Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
From all the problems I have been having with Linux ever since install, it is obvious that something with my system just makes Tux hate me. I literally haven't had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tux hates me. Help me murder him..

From all the problems I have been having with Linux ever since install, it is obvious that something with my system just makes Tux hate me. I literally haven't had even one day of stability since I installed. Every time I fix a problem, I get a new one the next day. This time Linux hangs on startup when it goes into Non-Interactive startup, and it still won't run even in Failsafe mode.. it goes into "single-user mode" where my name is "bash" and I can't start x-windows or anything. And it doesn't matter whether this gets fixed or not, I've picked up the pattern. I see how Linux ****s me over every time I close my eyes and go to sleep. I wake up in the morning, turn the computer on, and he taunts me. He taunts me with his evil... penguiny... ways. Then I slap him upside the head with a fix and he looks innocent until I go to sleep once more and he works throughout the night to piss me off the next day. Well time for revenge, I'm killin' him.

Well after rambling about how Linux hates me... here's the question, finally.

How can I uninstall Linux from my computer, preferably getting rid of the partitions created during install, and make Windows take up my entire hard drive once more? Or as an alternative, do you think re-installing that bastard Tux will help any?

Hi Demonic Crusader,

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with Linux. As for your question, try searching your computer model in google along with Linux and see if anyone has come up with some success with your model and a particular distro.
    If you want to reinstall Windows and have it take the whole hard drive, I believe you can tell it to take the whole hard drive during install (not entirely sure though).

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

I would definitely try a different distro like SuSE 9.2, Vector Soho 5.0 or Yoper. My personal favorites.

Are you dual-booting with Windows(just curious)?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    well, I would definitely try a more user friendly distro if you would be kind enough to give him a second chance, suse is a good start. If you do want to remove it, you can do so from the windows installation, during the partitioning stage, you can delete the linux partitions, and reinstall with windows taking the whole drive, if you don't want to reinstall windows, you can get a program like partition magic, which will resize the drive for you, the suse installer also has a nice partition resizing tool

What distro are you using? Some (such as Gentoo, Debian, etc.) are very difficult for new users. Mandrake is one of the more user-friendly distros, but I've found SuSE to be absolutely amazing. You might want to try a different distro before giving up entirely.

If you're certain you wish to remove Linux, the exact process depends on whether you already have Windows installed as a dual boot.

If you do, then you can easily create 2 windows partitions that will appear as 2 hard drives in Linux. This is done from the Windows Installation CD, when you get to where to install Windows, delete the Linux partition, and select the newly-available "Unused Space" to format as NTFS.

If you don't already have Windows installed as a dual-boot, you simply go to the Windows CD, delete everything, and then install Windows on the Unused Space. You will result in your entire hard drive being formatted as NTFS, with one partition.

Sorry to see you go.

Just Joined!
    I currently have a dual-boot system with Windows / Mandrake, and that is probably the problem. I however do **NOT** want to re-install Windows and I do **NOT** want to format everything, and I do **NOT** want to set to factory default, though if it comes to it, I may have to.. I just got this computer about three weeks ago and I have everything installed and set up just how I need it (except for Linux of course) and I'd hate to have to start over again.

Anywho. Can I uninstall Mandrake, getting rid of the partitions created during the install, and try a different distro later? Can you recommend a distro that is great with dual-booting? And how hard is it to uninstall, then get my Windows partition back on my currently dual-boot PC, and how may I go about doing it? I really do want Linux on my computer but obviously there is something terribly wrong that turns Tux into a penguin from hell... But it bugs the crap out of me having something messed up with a computer I just got three weeks ago. *sigh*

Ah, and what may be some things that may create problems with dual booting? By the way, the model of my computer is: Sony VAIO VGC-RB31P Desktop PC . Everything is pretty top-of-the-line, except it could use some RAM and it definately needs a video card. Nothing that should irritate Tux's allergies...

I have not yet modified it from the factory default hardware, though I'm going to buy a graphics card and I already put an extra fan in it. (I'm the king of upgrades! I plugged in a fan and twist-tied it to the vent holes in the side of my case!)

When you install the new distro, one of the options will be to "erase all linux partitions". Take that option. And the new distro will setup a dual-boot for you.

No uninstalling necessary.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Hi Demonic Crusader,

Welcome to Linux foums! You can order a copy of SuSE 9.2 personal on DVD Rom from this website; www.linux-magazine.com

I use SuSE 9.2 Personal and it's excellent.When you're a newbie (like me) you are going to have a few 'disasters' as you learn Linux, don't let it discourage you. I've got 4 O.S. on my machine, 2 Windows/ 2 Linux, I had hell getting there but I promise you, it was all worth it in the end. Don't give up-that's the easy way out , keep trying and post here everytime you hit a problem. Remember to give us all as much info as you possibly can, including the specs of your machine, we all help each other out in here. I'm saying this to you 'cause I was ready to pack it in then changed my mind and tried once again. Now I've got a 'Dream Machine', who else has this many operating systems on one computer? (Having said that I'll probab;y be told that someone else has much more than me).

By the way, Tux doesn't hate you, you just haven't learnt yet how to keep him, he's a fussy penguin!

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    That's excellent! Now all I have to do is wait forever to get back onto cable internet to download a different distro and hope it works. Or... I could con someone else into downloading and burning it for me. *Scratches chin and examines all the potential tools*

So! What's a good distro that's easy to use, and veeeery stable on a dual-boot PC? *Stabs Tux in the eye*

Hi again,

You don't download SuSE Professional, the magazine post it out to you, or you can buy it in the shops......
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast