Find the answer to your Linux question:
I get sound when I play music files, but no sound plays in any games. How do I get the sound to work?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound Problem

I get sound when I play music files, but no sound plays in any games. How do I get the sound to work?

Just Joined!
    Probably, the most stupid answer cud be this, but the most obvious thing to check this is first. Check the settings of the game for volume controls or soun d control. Secondly, there might be a problem with the Sound Sever with the disto.

BTW....What is your distro....

open up a console and type: alsamixer. I think this works in mandrake but not sure. The make sure that master and pcm volume levels are at appropriate settings and unmuted. I'm also sure that mandrake has some menu type configuration for sound you could look in there to see if for some reason volume control is only unmuted for music and not other applications.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL