Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone else go nuts when they compile sources? It NEVER works for me. I always get some sort of error message. It is not at the begining of compiling either. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling sources

Anyone else go nuts when they compile sources? It NEVER works for me. I always get some sort of error message. It is not at the begining of compiling either. It is usually in the make or make install stage.

Right now I am trying to install the latest Mplayer with all the codecs and I canr seem to get anywhere.

GGRRR

Just Joined!
    hi disco192 - can u post an example of the errors you see? without them ppl probably won't be able to help you out ...

I had a thread about this a while ago. I always had trouble - but try installing SDL development libraries and NASM. They should be on your install disks.

A better overall solution would be to read the output from the ./compile error and see what is missing from your system. Try running
    Code:
    ./compile > ~/Desktop/compile.log
    This will allow you to browse a file on your desktop with full output. Note you can run the compile without being logged in or SU'd to root, if you are the modify the file path above to your own desk or where you would like the log.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Compiling can be frustrating when you experience 'dependency hell'. Mplayer is a particular pain in the arse for this. I've only ever managed to run it properly from a terminal, and even then I had to read the manual in depth to get anywhere.

As a rule of thumb I would try to install software like that as an rpm, though even then you might have problems with Mplayer. I use Xine and Kaffeine now as life is just too short!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    yep agree with fingal; first option would be try for an RPM install

Just to try and add a bit more to this thread, where I *would* install from source - and it's not compulsory or anything - would be the libraries for libdvdread and libdvdcss which you will need to decrypt dvds if you were using Xine/Kaffeine (Kaffeine uses the Xine engine and is a stripped down version of it).

By default, those libraries would end up in /usr/local/lib Better to install them in /usr/lib which is where Xine will look for them. Took me ages to figure that out! I used to love trying to install large complex packages from source, but now? I like to go out I now only do this for small furry friendly packages without huge multiple dependencies
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso