Find the answer to your Linux question:
HELP!!! I'm a Linux noob and I'm having a very annoying problem. I just got a flash drive that is said to work great with Linux (and it does). The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HELP! (Somewhat) Urgent Problem!

HELP!!! I'm a Linux noob and I'm having a very annoying problem. I just got a flash drive that is said to work great with Linux (and it does). The problem is that as soon as I plug it in,Konqueror will not open. Konqueror will work if it is already open and I plug it in, but refused t do so afterwards. Both Konqueror and Nautilus read the flash drive fine, but I have no idea why it refuses to open after it gets plugged it. It is a Simpletech Bonzai Xpress 128mb. Does anyone have ANY IDEA why this keeps happening?

I will be more than happy to provide any information necessary to fix this problem... It's rather important that I get this thing working ASAP.

Thank you very much!!!

Linux Enthusiast
    well, I had a similar problem with my net connection, everything worked fine if the net was down, ut once I started it some things wouldn't work, including nautilus... Actually, they did work, it just took about 20 mins to open them. I don't know if your problem is the same, but you could try doing the following from a terminal after plugging it in:
    Code:
    portmap
    and make sure that you're mounting it correctly:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash-drive # whatever the mountpoint is
    post any errors you get...

I may be wrong, but there is a known bug in Mandrake 10.1 Official caused by a run-away process. If you have trouble again, try hitting Ctrl. + Esc to bring up a list of processes - assuming you are using a GUI. If you find one called using a lot of resources, highlight it and kill it. Your system will complain, but survive.

I'm trying to remember the name of the process, but after last night, not easy Involved a small Norwegian lady and some booze ...

I've found that Konqueror crashes when mounting USB devices etc. when this process goes ape.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks!!! Yeah its one of those KDE apps that go bezerk (I think it was KDEd). As a noob - I have no idea wtf that does (but as a long times Windows user, I'm very familiar with killing apps and processes that @#$% up my PC ).

Well... I'm reading a book that very soon will teach me about the fstab file and show me how to write to it so I can mount my flash drive at book time. Sucks that school slows me down- but thats what a forum is for

Thanks! But now... how do I fix that problem? Is there some patch I can download for it? Perhaps one from KDE or Mandrake/Mandriva?

There's a script out there as a temporary fix. I haven't tried it, I just kill the process when it's a pain.

Read this thread http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...&highlight=bug

This might help. I can't wait for Mandrake to fix it!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso