Find the answer to your Linux question:
have tried to install 10.1 about 5 times and haven't got it right yet,but I did find that it has used about 10gigs of a 30gig hard drive and now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing-uninstalling

have tried to install 10.1 about 5 times and haven't got it right yet,but I did find that it has used about 10gigs of a 30gig hard drive and now I can't uninstall it.
    I tried using a win98se boot disk to fdisk and format but it only formated 20gigs.
    how the hell do I get it off of my hard drive so I can start over from scratch????

It looks like you have a partition, that fdisk can't take care of.
    You will need to use delpart. you can find it here.
    http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm
    Just put delpart on your Win98 boot disk.
    Then when you want to use it, just type "delpart at the A: prompt.
    Then just follw the prompts.

Hope this helps.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Hey Budman that worked just fine and now I'm ready to try it again.
    I've ben screwing around for 3/4 years and never heard of that little program and have had about the same prob. with win2k.
    [THANKS A BUNCH]
    Don't know if this is the correct place to ask or not but how do you install Mandrake 10.1 without having to having to log in. I'm the only one here and I don't like having to log in every time, at least win98 has that part figured out..
    THANKS AGAIN......Jackha

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I haven't used Mandrake in a while. But here is how I do it in SUSE with KDE
    Go to Control Center.
    Go to System Administration
    Go to Login Manager
    Look for Convenience tab.
    Click on the Administrator Mode
    Put a X in Login Automatically.

Not to sure if that helps you with Mandrake though.

So, why do you have to keep reinstalling. Could you explain. Maybe we could help you so you don't have to do it a 7th time.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply..
    As for the several installs,,
    The computer that I'm using now is win98se and I have pretty well got it figured out and can edit anything on it and because of that I can also fix most things that my grand kids screw up when they use it and it's no big deal because I've nothing else to do [retired and 68 yrs.].
    When I install an os that won't let me edit or change everything on it I keep trying till I can or I sh$% can the OS as I did win2k and xp for different reasons.[system hogs]
    So when I can turn it on in the morning go get my coffee and come back and it's up and running I/ll have that part solved.
    This is only one of the problems that I'm having but I'll get to them later.
    Thanks again I'm going to reinstall and try what you said,let you know how I come out....Jackha [THANKS AGAIN]

Just Joined!
    Well I tried what you said and it worked just fine as far as booting up but I still can't do anything else without a password and when I go to Computer and right click and then Properties it won't let me do anything but read, and down at the bottom it says that I'm not the owner and don't have permission to do anything else.
    So I went back to the log in mgr. and changed a few things [big mistake]
    and when I rebooted it went into fail safe which must be there version of DOS and I have not a clue of what I'm supposed to do there, so I reformated and now I set with an empty harddrive again.
    Oh yea I got this last Sat. and haven't made it work yet.
    One nice thing about it though is that it's on a 2400 cpu system and it don't take long to format and reinstall [about 45min.] now that I've got that delpart program.
    Think I'll take up gardening........Well thanks again for all the help...Jackha

When you say you can't do anything without a password. What are you trying to do? With certain things, this is normal in Linux.
    Like trying to edit the login manager, that requires superuser or root priviliges.
    This is one of the things that makes Linux so much better than Windows, not just anybody can install stuff to your pc. Like those nasty people out on the web.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

Hey budman

Hope you're still there.
    Well I finally got it working, [kinda] the way I want but,
    The dvd burner dosen't work," it's a Soney reject I think" but it worked on win98se.
    It is using 140megs of memory and xp only used around 60 megs.
    It has 61 different processes running and I don't know what I can turn off because I can't find an index that tells what all of those code words mean,Sbus-daemon-1,2megs of memory,d bus-launch 2.4megs,artsd, 10megs,kded,26meg etc.How do I find out what all of this means so I'll know what I can shut off.
    I already shut off some stuff and had to reinstall.
    Oh yea this computer dosen't even have a modem and will be used only to play games on so I'm not woried about getting a virus,and for this computer that I'm on ,I use a free off brand virus program that hasn't failed me yet because the hacks don't work on an off brand system,just the ones you buy.I also use spy bot.
    Back to Problem, where do I find out what all these code words mean so I can shut off some af them????Thanks again for the Help....Jackha