Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new from redhat 9 and I just installed mandrake. My mouse worked fine all during the installation process and then when the machine booted up the first ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake not recognizing my mouse

Hello,
    I am new from redhat 9 and I just installed mandrake. My mouse worked fine all during the installation process and then when the machine booted up the first time my mouse stopped working. Does anyone know what this might be caused by and a fix?
    THanks

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I too had the same problem. Here's what i did...
    Swich to root(su).type mousedrake.
    You'll get a window with many mouse types. Select the generic one of your type(say, serial 3 button). Your mouse should work now. Test it.
    Close and reboot and check if it works after reboot also. Sometimes the config file doesnt get saved. then you may need to manually add a line.. I dont know how..

if marauder's suggestion doesn't work, manually edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the /etc/X11/XF86Config file to contain the following:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse1"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"   <---- This is the generic PS2 mouse driver with scroll wheel
        Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
    EndSection

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the responses, marauder's suggestion worked fine for one of the machines, but not for the other. The one that didnt work is using an old microsoft scroll mouse, should generic ps/2 work for that too?
    Thanks

it should work as long as your mouse uses a PS2 connector to connect to the PC and has a scroll wheel.