Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to install Mandrake 10.1 and everything goes well until I reboot, login, and type in "startx" on the command line. Once I press enter after typing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

At wit's end - onboard video and X.org

I have been trying to install Mandrake 10.1 and everything goes well until I reboot, login, and type in "startx" on the command line. Once I press enter after typing startx, I receive fatal errors in abundance (most mention something wrong with X.org).

My motherboard, a Jetway V2DP, has onboard video, S3 Graphics Pro Savage8. When I do my configurations after installation, there is no listing for this type of video under either S3 or Savage (Savage goes up to Savage4). I used Savage generic and thought I was doing the right thing.

Is there a way to configure onboard video with Mandrake 10.1 and if so, how?

Thank you for your time,
    cfdanno

Yeah. Choose "custom" from the menu and put in the information. Its not that hard.

Here are some specs about your onboard VGA

- Optimized Shared Memory Architecture (SMA) Max. 64MB frame buffer
    - Internal AGP 8X performance
    - 128 bit 2D/3D graphics engine
    - Graphie engine clocks up to 133MHz decoupled from memory clock

Also when you get to xconfiguration while installing choose to probe. If you didn't do it right it will let you go back and do it again. It will also allow you to choose to start xwindow automatically if you choose to probe.

Just Joined!
    Thank you Richard. I will give it a shot.