Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys, just new here. I used to Run Red Hat 6.0 on an old PC and mostly used it to program. I had major problems installing it and never ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm all GUI

Hey guys, just new here.

I used to Run Red Hat 6.0 on an old PC and mostly used it to program. I had major problems installing it and never got the GUI working quite right.

I just got myself a new laptop and want to install Mandrake 10.1 as a dual boot with Windows XP. I've installed it from a disc a friend gave me but there seems to be a problem. Altough it installs, it warns me that some items cant be installed.
    Once the installation is complete I can only get onto the command line, which i have no problem using but I also do some graphical editing I need the GUI for but can't get it working.

If I setup the GUI it crashes as its starting up. If I dont set it up and use StartX it brings back an error code of 2. If I use xf86cfg it crashes, screen goes all wierd and the computer needs to be manually turned off.
    I've even tried pluggin in an external monitor. It seems to get sparred signals (turns on and off a couple of times then switches off).

Any ideas guys?

Ross

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by K1ng
    Yeah, did I say something wrong?
    No, K1ng, sounds to me like some frustration coming out. You may guess that I've had my own.

So, can you say what items Mandrake had trouble installing? If they are related to X, you'll need to get that straightened out. If you are capable with the command line, that's a good thing. Have you compared your etc/X11/xorg.conf with your actual hardware: your video chipset/driver, monitor specs, resolution and color depth? If your XP is working, that may be helpful in seeing their display configuration.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Guru
    If you could post the specs of your lappy, we could offer more assistance. Also, can you post the output of the following command

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
    Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Its a standard Dell Inspiron 1000. Any hardware info can be found:-

http://www.mikeshardware.com/reviews/dellinspiron1000/

The output of your command is...

cat: /var/log/Xorg.0.log: No such file or directory

I do however have: -

/var/log/Xorg.8.log
    /var/log/Xorg.8.log.old
    /var/log/Xorg.9.log

Thanks guys

Linux Guru
    Okay, it looks like your card should be supported. Did you set it up during installtion? It woud have been one of the last screens, there were options to configure network, time zone, mouse, etc... If you set it up and tested it, did you get the rainbow screen showing everything was okay?

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    Okay, it looks like your card should be supported. Did you set it up during installtion? It woud have been one of the last screens, there were options to configure network, time zone, mouse, etc... If you set it up and tested it, did you get the rainbow screen showing everything was okay?

Jeremy
    When I tested, the screen went blank. Sometimes went white and gradually faded to black. I've tried it with loads of different configurations.

Linux Guru
    Okay, try
    Code:
    startx
    . After you do that, you should have a /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. Then run the previous mentioned command. If you don't get that file, just post the output of the startx command.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    startx:-

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
    giving up.
    xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

...???

In the "Device" section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, what is the driver listed as?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Did a search...looks like you may have to manually install the driver:

http://www.winischhofer.at/linuxsisvga.shtml
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast