Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Mandrake 10.1 on my machine, downloaded from this site. So far so good. I would get remote control on the machine, so I have installed ssh and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VNC startup problem

I have installed Mandrake 10.1 on my machine, downloaded from this site. So far so good. I would get remote control on the machine, so I have installed ssh and it will works fine. But now a remote control with graphic interface.

I have installed VNC server within Mandrake 10.1. It works well if you start it manual at any start-up. I have tried the set the VNC server in the start-up service. The VNC server stands in de service list, but failed.

So I get the following fault:

Starting vncserver: Starting VNC server: 3: root vncserver: The USER
    environments variable is not set

If I will now connect the machine with VNC, then I must manual start the service and I will this automatic.

I hope that anyone can help me...

Linux Guru
    It would seem that you're trying to start vncserver as root, rather then user. That would be a horrible idea. Either add the user option to the vncserver, or have vncserver start as user by adding it to you indivdual startup folder (in KDE, ~/.kde/Autostart)

You should be aware that running vncserver at all times is inherently insecure and a bad idea. It's much better to simply run ssh, ssh in and start the vncserver, do what you've got to do, and then kill the vncserver.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude