Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I got a hard drive out of my old computer, it used to be the primary drive. I want it in my new computer. I have to reformat it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

reformatting

Hey, I got a hard drive out of my old computer, it used to be the primary drive. I want it in my new computer. I have to reformat it (I think) in order to change the drive letter. I also would like to wipe it clean so I can put Slackware on it. But the main thing is I need to change its drive letter, and make it the slave drive.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    Drive letters aren't hard coded to the drive. Just slap the puppy in, format it and use it. You may need to move a jumper setting in order for it to be a slave, but other than that, no other special items needed.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    I am looking how to format it. the thing doesnt have dos on it, I dont know the console comands in mandrake, and if I plug both hard drives in at the same time, it doesnt boot anything and freezes up untill I unplug one.

Linux Engineer
    What are your BIOS settings saying about the second drive?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    When I go to make it the slave drive, it doesnt detect anything, not untill I unplug the other drive, then its ready to set it as the primary drive