Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone. I'm a new member here! Nice forums! I have a problem and a question. First of all, I have reinstalled my windows XP so the list of OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help please!

Hello everyone. I'm a new member here! Nice forums!

I have a problem and a question.

First of all, I have reinstalled my windows XP so the list of OS which I got in the beginning of the startup is gone. How can I get it back to be able to choose between Windows and Linux??

Secondly, I was just wondering, if you download a program for linux (mandrake 10), how can you install it? I'm kind of a beginner when it comes to linux so be gentle with me! Once I tried to double click on the file like you do in windows but it didn't work.

I use the grafic version of mandrake (KDE or something)!

I would appreciate it a lot if I got any help!

To get your bootloader back, boot from your Mandrake install disk, press F1 for more options when prompted, type rescue and press Enter. This will take you to a little rescue console that will let you reinstall your bootloader.

As for installing programs, it depends...the easiest thing in Mandrake is to set up urpmi sources and then use the software installation tools in the Mandrake Control Center. This site will walk you through adding sources:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

I recommend setting up the main source (and then disabling your CDs in the Media Manager in the Mandrake Control Center) so that you don't have to shuffle through CDs to install software.

I also recommend setting up the contrib and plf sources.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    To get your bootloader back, boot from your Mandrake install disk, press F1 for more options when prompted, type rescue and press Enter. This will take you to a little rescue console that will let you reinstall your bootloader.

As for installing programs, it depends...the easiest thing in Mandrake is to set up urpmi sources and then use the software installation tools in the Mandrake Control Center. This site will walk you through adding sources:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

I recommend setting up the main source (and then disabling your CDs in the Media Manager in the Mandrake Control Center) so that you don't have to shuffle through CDs to install software.

I also recommend setting up the contrib and plf sources.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
    Thanks man!
    So there are 3 mandrake CDs. Do I use the first one to get the bootloader back??

Also I don't know anything about that contrib and plf sources but when I download a special program for linux from a site, I don't really need to set up the main source, do I? I mean, I only need to install the program that I have downloaded!

Also where do I find this control center? Can you give me a precise way to find it?

Thanks agin!

Yes, inserting the 1st cd and pressing F1 when prompted during bootup will bring the recovery console.

If the program that you have downloaded is in the rpm format, as root, type into a shell
    Code:
    rpm -i <filename>.rpm
    the -i specifies that you wish to install the file.

If it is a *.tar.gz file, type
    Code:
    tar -xzvf <filename>
    into the terminal, and then cd to the directory that the untarring process has created and type
    Code:
    ./configure
    . Then depending on the program, make or make-install. Specific instructions on installing the programs will usually be given at the site where you downloaded your programs.

The control center can be found by doing the following steps:
    Start Button Equivalent -> System -> Configuration -> Configure Your Computer
    Note you will be prompted for root password in order to use MCC.

Just Joined!

pleeese help

Hi,

This is sambhav.I have installed Mandrake 10.1 two days back.I found problems with the bootloader.It showed L 99 99 99 99 99..... on the screen.Neither I was albe to access my windows nor newly installed linux.I had installed bootloader in the first sector of the root partition.The rescue operation did not work at all.So i had to install the OS completely once again and the same problem repeated.
    So in the next installation I changed installed bootloader in the first sector of MBR.I was shocked to see that the windows was not accessible.I had to repair my Windows OS.Then Linux went off.Then I again installed linux and bootloader in 1st sector of MBR.Everything was fine and I was able to access my Windows also.
    The configuration part through which u can view the softwares installed,install new softwares,configure ur system etc. was not there.

Now I need help to get that stuff to install other softwares.
    So please mail me how to do it without again installing the OS. my mail ID sambhav092003@yahoo.com .

Thank U
    Sambhav
    Linux user

Sambhav,
    Can you see this menu? Start Button Equivalent -> System -> Configuration -> Packaging ? Select "Install Packages"to install new packages.

Else, in the command line as root, type urpmi <name of package> and you can get the package via the local public ftp server.

The Mandrake Control Center is a core component of the Mandrake Linux system. I know of no other way of getting it back than a new linux reinstall. By default, windows likes to be installed to the first partition. e.g. in an ideal situation, your hard disk partitioning should liik like:
    __________________________________________________ ___
    | hda1 Windows C drive (NTFS) | / Root Partition (ext3) | Swap |
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1st Sector --------------------------------------------------------------> Last Sector

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for your help guys!
    Now I have fixed my bootloader!

Also now I kind of understand what you meant by plf and conrib thingy! I also visited that "urpmi sources" site and tried to fix the sources but in the end I got this message:

3) Type this in a console as root

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distrib...0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz
    urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_...rake/free/10.0 with hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia --update updates http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Man...ates/10.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
    Now I found the console in mandrake control center, under "System" , but I don't really know how to paste this text in it! I tried with "cntrl + C" but it didn't work. I also tried to "right click" but that didn't work either! I don't have to type this whole thing in there do I?

Actually, you need to enter those commands from the command line (it's just easier that way). Open up konsole and type
    Code:
    su
    Enter your administrator (root) password. Then enter those command sections one at a time...for example:
    Code:
    urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp&#58;//ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz
    If you get an error saying it can't access that server, then pick another server from the dropdown list for the source you want. After you've completed getting the three sources in, you can just go to the Software section of the Mandrake Control Center and install software (you'll be surprised what you'll find in there).

Take a look around in the Control Center while you have it open; it's a very powerful tool and you can do a lot of different things within it.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply man!
    But I have to type my root password before I go to control center, do I need to do that again when i type "su" in console?? Are you sure we are talking about the same console here? It's the one you find under "system" in "control center"!

Also when I go to the software section in controle center, I saw you could disable your CDs and add ftp servers directly there instead! Can I not just write the ftp-adresses of that long code directly in there and add them??

You could add them there...it's just that since that site gives you the "whole" command, it's easier on the command line.

The Control Center isn't what linux users refer to as the "console" or "terminal". The console is a command-line interface (if you're from the Microsoft world, it might somewhat remind you of a dos interface). There is an app in your Start menu named "konsole" which is the KDE terminal app. That's where I suggested you enter the commands they gave you.

And yes, if you opened up a console, you would have to su and enter your root password again.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast