Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm super overwhelmed with this stuff right now. I dabbled with a Red Hat Distro about 4 years ago, and have now tip toed back in with Mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

QT and C++ Development on my new Mandrake 10.1

Hi All,
    I'm super overwhelmed with this stuff right now. I dabbled with a Red Hat Distro about 4 years ago, and have now tip toed back in with Mandrake 10.1. With RH I started to get the hang of the rpm thing, but now I'm seeing there's this Software Installer tool (urpmi) that supposedly makes things easier. I went to that PLF packages site and I thought I added the appropriate media hosts (I run an AMD chip, which seemed to limit the options for sources I can add), but can't for the life of me install firefox through that. I manually installed firefox in:

/etc/firefox (yeah, /etc is probably not the convention, is it?.. I dont' know what the conventions are)

Either way, I can't just type
    [sadohert]$ firefox &
    to make it run, I guess because it's not on my path. Why the heck can't the install have put firefox on my path, and added a pretty little firefox logo to my taskbar, and hey... while it's at it... make firefox the default browser for html.

Anyway, I'm muddling through the above problems. The reason for the post is I can't seem to use the "Software Install" tool to get QT or C++ related libraries installed. I use the "Category" view, and go down to "Development". Under development I want C/C++ related stuff (down the road I'll probably want other tools as well).

I click on the C++ check box and I get a pair of radio buttons that force me to choose between:
    libmp4v2_0-0.9.2.8-3plf
    OR
    libfaad2_0-2.0-7plf

Why am I being given the option here? How do I know which one to choose?

So, I choose the bottom one. I click a message talking about dependencies, then I get this message:
    Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:
    libdc0-devel-0.3.3-1plf.i586 (due to unsatisfied libopenssl-devel)

Whatever that means!?! (note, I do remember using the Install tool to add ssh recently so I can remotely access the computer... that's not working right now either... but alas, probably meant for a separate post)

I also try the OTHER option I had above and it craps out in a similar way.

I'm very sorry for the long yappy post, but this is literally my first step into this world in a while and I'm clueless and frustrated. With your help I can pick this stuff up soon.

Stu

P.S. When I used RH the default window manager was gnome. My install came with ALL sorts of stuff installed (e.g., C++ IDE, tonnes of games, etc.) KDE doesn't seem to have that, and when I installed gnome and tried to startup in that it had NOTHING... no taskbar... just a desktop... as if someone doesn't want me using gnome.

Just Joined!

Getting there.

Okay, so at time of print this thread had been viewed 15 times but nobody had anything to say... probably because of how long winded I was. Well, here's what I've done to sort out my problem:

-I abandoned the package route and tried the manual ./configure -> make -> make install route. This makes me nervous because if something goes wrong down the road I'm not sure how to back things out, or fix things, but I guess I'll post about that if it happens.
    -So, before installing K Develop I have to make sure the things it is dependent on are installed. This is where I did the whole manual install procedure. Turns out my Mandrake install didn't include autoconf, automake, or flex.
    - 1 by 1 I went through and made sure the applications K Develop is dependent on were installed.
    -One thing that hung me up for a while was trying to install flex. See, flex requires yacc, but I could NOT find yacc source files ANYWhere... turns out bison is actually a replacement for yacc... go figure....
    -When I tried to ./configure QT that worked fine, but the make crapped out saying I was missing some X11/*.h files... and now I find myself in the situation I was worried about... I receive the following text at the end of all the gmake mumbo jumbo and I don't know what to do about it:

Code:
    kernel/qt_x11_p.h:66:22: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
    kernel/qt_x11_p.h:71:23: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
    kernel/qt_x11_p.h:72:21: X11/Xos.h: No such file or directory
    kernel/qt_x11_p.h:73:23: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
    gmake[2]: *** [.obj/release-shared-mt/qtaddons_x11.o] Error 1
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt/src'
    gmake[1]: *** [sub-src] Error 2
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt'
    gmake: *** [init] Error 2
    Turns out I need some special X11 developer package. Did you know that it's actually contained in XFree86-devel... me neither. I found an rpm for that, but IT won't work because it needs XFree86-lib...so I found an rpm for that but IT won't work because of conflics with some libx-X11 package.

SO, I went to uninstall that so I can install the XFree packages, but a TONNE of applications depend on that package, and I don't want to screw the whole thing up.

So, NOW what should I do? Is there anyway around this? I'm not opposed to a whole fresh install of the system, or a switch to another distro... whatever is easiest to explain.

Sorry again for the long winded-ness. I get so much help from reading other people's posts, and I like it when there's lots of detail.

Stu

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/easyurpmi/

That site will help you set up urpmi. It really is a useful command, and it will sort out all dependencies for you.

As far as things being installed not in your path, this is actually easily solved.

We'll take /usr/local/bin, which should be in your path:

Code:
    cd /usr/local/bin
    ln -s /etc/firefox/firefox firefox
    You've just made a link to the firefox command in your $PATH. The advantage to this is that you can point everything to run just "firefox", and if you update Firefox in the future, you can simply change what the link points to.

Just Joined!

About Easy urpmi

In step 1 I can choose i586, or AMD. (I happen to have AMD, which severely limits my options). Does this matter, or can I go with i586 anyway?

Also, should I go through every single location in each drop-down and add them all, or are they just mirrors of each other?

Thanks

Stu

Linux Guru
    The option is actually AMD64. Unless you have a 64 bit processor, go with i586.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    Exactly what processor do you have?

i586 is the instruction set that the processor uses, and for example, an amd athlon would be fine for running this. The average intel / amd processors are based arround exactly the same instruction set, thats how they run the same code. The only differences are in the architecture of the chips, how they are arranged on a really tiny scale and things like the clock speed.

If you have an athlon, you should be fine to install any x86 package! Im sure someone posted a much better explination of the whole x86 thing not too long ago, have a look arround!

It gets a bit more complicated with the athlon 64's, but even then, they still execute x86 code without any problems as far as i know.

Just Joined!

Ahhh... I see

Okay, cool. I suspected the AMD might be a 64-bit processor... I'm just timid to take any steps I don't understand for fear of screwing things up.

Thanks very much!

Stu

P.S. For a while I was starting to think I must be crazy because I was NOT seeing urpmi as any help in the packages I was trying to install.... I'm already seeing a 180 degree turn.