Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just downloaded firefox from the link that flatline provided (see post http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...ight=firefox+1 ). I used this command to unpack and install the rpm file: Code: [root@Mercury alex]# rpm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't install firefox 1.0.2 on MDK 10.1

Hi,
    I just downloaded firefox from the link that flatline provided (see post http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...ight=firefox+1). I used this command to unpack and install the rpm file:
    Code:
    [root@Mercury alex]# rpm -i firefox-1.0.2-1mcnl.i586.rpm
    The unpacking and installation seemed to go fine. The problem occurs when I try to launch firefox. When i click on the menu item called firefox in teh start menu (placed by the firefox installation process), the panel shows firefox trying to load, but after a few seconds, it just disappears. Then when i try to load firefox from the command line with firefox &,,,,,,,it just gives out this error:
    Code:
    [alex@Mercury alex]$ firefox &
    [1] 12945
    [alex@Mercury alex]$ SCIM: im_module_init
    free(): invalid pointer 0x82055d8!
    free(): invalid pointer 0x82055b0!
    I also tried to download the *tar.gz version of firefox and before it could install it kept spitting out an invalid pointer error on line 56 of the ./firefox-installer file.

Pasted below is the part of /var/log/messages during the time period that firefox was installed:
    Apr 15 17:44:56 Mercury su(pam_unix)[11380]: session opened for user root by (uid=501)
    Apr 15 18:14:04 Mercury rpm: [RPM] firefox-1.0.2-1mcnl installed
    Apr 15 18:14:08 Mercury gconfd (root-1275: starting (version 2.6.4), pid 12758 user 'root'
    Apr 15 18:14:08 Mercury gconfd (root-1275: Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only config source at position 0
    Apr 15 18:14:08 Mercury gconfd (root-1275: Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable config source at position 1
    Apr 15 18:14:08 Mercury gconfd (root-1275: Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only config source at position 2
    Apr 15 18:14:38 Mercury gconfd (root-1275: GConf server is not in use, shutting down.
    Apr 15 18:14:38 Mercury gconfd (root-1275: Exiting
    Apr 15 18:14:56 Mercury su(pam_unix)[12641]: session closed for user root

Any help is appreciated.

Update:
    I set up the urpmi source for a different ftp server (my uni's). It asked for some package dependancies which i also installed. Now after urpmi has finished, the same error occurs. I'm begining to think that it is something to do with my machine rather than firefox itself.

I'm running out of ideas, please help.

On a side note, firefox 1.0.2 installed on Win XP without a problem.

I'm using a french version of firefox, a version that has no RPM supplied, so I don't have the same version as you.

But as for me, for FF, things went smoothly, I extracted them to a folder (righ-click on the tar.gz, "extract here"), went into the folder, and in the Terminal asked ./firefox-installer ... and the installer started smoothly and finished perfectly. Just had to add myself a shortcut for FF in the KDE menu.

Maybe you could try downloading and compiling the source ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thats an idea i'll try in the morning. Do you have any instructions/walkthrus on how to install via the source files?

Normally with any programs, i just untar them or use rpms. So compiling from the source is a bit new to me.

Any help is appreciated.

Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Yeah, but for Firefox, it's more precisely like that :
    in konqueror, in the folder where the .tar.gz firefox is, right click it, and ask "extract here".
    Enter the newly created folder.
    Inside that folder, start a terminal, log as root ("su"), and enter :
    ./firefox-installer