Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i've been fooling around with MNF for about 2 years now. Its a wonderful solution! Though i got one thing i would like to know. Is there any way ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake MNF

Hi,
    i've been fooling around with MNF for about 2 years now. Its a wonderful solution! Though i got one thing i would like to know. Is there any way i can create a virtual interface so that i can access it from the web-interface. For instance a eth1:1. How is that done. I could use it for dynamic static-nat.
    So far i've done it by some scripts that changes some files. But its much harder to handle from the web-interface. And of some reason it stopped woring all of a sudden. Worked fine for almost a year. But after that it just wount work anymore!
    Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
    Personally I haven't used MNF as most of the reviews that I have read said that it wasn't as secure as other OSS offerings.

Is there any way i can create a virtual interface so that i can access it from the web-interface
    By this, you mean that you wish to log in to your MNF box remotely, from your LAN?

I suggest that you try smoothwall express 2.0 . It gives the same functionality as MNF, except that it allows for remote logging, vpn and is more sure than MNF. see www.smoothwall.org

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Hi,
    Personally I haven't used MNF as most of the reviews that I have read said that it wasn't as secure as other OSS offerings.

Is there any way i can create a virtual interface so that i can access it from the web-interface
    By this, you mean that you wish to log in to your MNF box remotely, from your LAN?

I suggest that you try smoothwall express 2.0 . It gives the same functionality as MNF, except that it allows for remote logging, vpn and is more sure than MNF. see www.smoothwall.org

Hope this helps.
    Well, i've found it as secure as i need it to be. I've used smoothwall, along time ago, but at the moment im trying to get a grip of mnf. Im trying to set up multiple virtual network interfaces on a single network interface card. So that i can use more public ip-addresses assigned from my ISP. One for tha nat network, one for a game server and one for a webserver

Just Joined!

About Smoothwall

I've just been trying out Smoothwall but, as far as I can tell, it only supports USB ADSL modems. I use a Speedtouch Home, via an Ethernet Connection.

Have I missed something out? The closest I got was VPN connections but that wanted a static IP at my end.

I've just got MNF up and running today but Smoothwall seems to have a better feature set and I would like to try it.

Can anybody tell me if it supports Ethernet ADSL modems and if so, how on earth do I set it up.

Thanks in advance

Yes, smoothwall does support PPPoE connections, that is the way I use to connect to the internet. Um, from memory, you have to goto the network tab -> PPP connections and setup the username and password from there. Also during the setup of smoothwall you should be able to tell it to connect via PPPoE.

It is all explained in the manuals and the people at the Smoothwall forums should be able to help you out better.