Even though I had the bad signature problem i managed to get my ati drivers working, but i'am still a bit confused. (not sure how I managed it as well)

My card is a 9700 pro, but when run fglrxinfo it reports:

$ fglrxinfo
Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9500 Pro Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.5010 (X4.3.0-8.12.10)

And if I run glxgears i get the following results

$ glxgears
Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
279 frames in 5.0 seconds = 55.800 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS

the isntructions I followed says that should see framerates of over 10,000 depending on hardware, and anything below 1000 meant the mesa drivers were being used. Now when I ran with the mesa drivers previously it was showing a framerate of around 900.

I am using 1280x1024 24bit resolution (TFT) (max refresh is 75 in 1280 mode)
amd 2500+ (oc to 2700)
1gb memory

I have enabled vsync when running fglrxconfig could this be the problem or could it be a fault with the packages I installed that had bad signatures..

thanks again in advance