Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I use mdk 10.1 and I wish to know how can multiple login sessions be started with display. What I mean is that you log on to the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

About multiple logins

Hi I use mdk 10.1 and I wish to know how can multiple login sessions be started with display. What I mean is that you log on to the same machine with the same/differnet username at the same time. I can do it without display but don't know how to start one.
    Anybody?????????
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

It should be an option on the K-menu to start a new session. If you don't have luck there, go to another console using ctrl-alt-F2 (up to F6) and login, then typing startx.

This should work if not, there may be graphics card issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    It should be an option on the K-menu to start a new session. If you don't have luck there, go to another console using ctrl-alt-F2 (up to F6) and login, then typing startx.

This should work if not, there may be graphics card issues.
    Actually I tried that only. But there was an error and it returned a message:
    Code:
    Fatal sever error. Server already active for display 0.
    Xlib: connection at ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
    giving up.
    xinit: unable to connect to xserver
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

Linux Newbie
    Well, if you want to run more than one xserver, you have to specify a different virtual display..

so, ctrl+alt+f1 etc to get a new login like before, then type this
    Code:
    startx --:1
    that tells startx to start the xserver with display 1. display 0 is the default, so you cant choose that number, but i believe you can have a number of xservers running, so start --:2 would also work....of course, if you have too many you might run out of memory or something!

Wow, i think this is the first time ive ever really known the answer to a question!

Quote Originally Posted by dark_lord_kodd
    Well, if you want to run more than one xserver, you have to specify a different virtual display..

so, ctrl+alt+f1 etc to get a new login like before, then type this
    Code:
    startx --:1
    that tells startx to start the xserver with display 1. display 0 is the default, so you cant choose that number, but i believe you can have a number of xservers running, so start --:2 would also work....of course, if you have too many you might run out of memory or something!

Wow, i think this is the first time ive ever really known the answer to a question!
    Thanks man!!! Thanks! It finally worked!!!!!!!!
    Can you help me more by telling how can one invoke a specific windowmanager using this command. My system always logs in using KDE with the command you gave.
    Secondly, is there any method by which when I log into my system I do not get into a GUI because normally I do not even require one. I think you get my question. To put more simply what I want is that when I boot my box it does not take me to a GUI but instead it should take me to a command prompt something like which you get when you press CTRL ALT F1 etc.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike