Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just wonder if anyone knows how to getrid of the removabel disk icon tied to a usb memory stick after it has been detached from the usbport? When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Memory icons remains after withdrawall

Hi,
    I just wonder if anyone knows how to getrid of the removabel disk icon tied to a usb memory stick after it has been detached from the usbport?

When I reinsert the stick another icon shows up. This leaves the desktop full of icons after a while.

Linux Guru
    I hate it when that happens. The first thing to make sure of before I give you the solution -

Make sure all process using the stick are closed -konqueror, rpm whatever

Leave the icon for about fiveseconds after last window close

Right click and choose Unmount

Remove USB connection

After this if the file icon is still present you need to manually edit your /etc/fstab. You shoud see a line for /dev/sda or something corresponding to your USB drive. You need to delete this line. You should make a backup first, and in this case delete the automatic file backup (/etc/fstab~). Alternatively you may find the entry in the /etc/mtab file, same applies here.

If you leave the old file in this case the system may have problems mounting the device next time.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    I hate it when that happens. The first thing to make sure of before I give you the solution -

Make sure all process using the stick are closed -konqueror, rpm whatever

Leave the icon for about fiveseconds after last window close

Right click and choose Unmount

Remove USB connection

After this if the file icon is still present you need to manually edit your /etc/fstab. You shoud see a line for /dev/sda or something corresponding to your USB drive. You need to delete this line. You should make a backup first, and in this case delete the automatic file backup (/etc/fstab~). Alternatively you may find the entry in the /etc/mtab file, same applies here.

If you leave the old file in this case the system may have problems mounting the device next time.
    Thanks for the tip, but I need to give away the root password to allow a standard user to umount the stick and also to let them edit any files. So I also want to aviod the user to be root to remove the USB stick as well as make the icon disapear.

Regards Gh