Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i just used mandrake's package manager to download kernel 2.6.11-7 (something) from something called a cooker. i let the package manager install it for me, and then i rebooted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

upgrading kernel on mandrake 10.1

hello,

i just used mandrake's package manager to download kernel 2.6.11-7 (something) from something called a cooker. i let the package manager install it for me, and then i rebooted my machine. in the lilo menu i got this new 2.6.11-7 option to boot, so i did that. however, the machine just rebooted, and brought up lilo once again. same stuff happened. i managed to boot fine from an older kernel (2.6., but nada on the 2.6.11-7 one. is there more stuff i need to do?

any replies welcome!

Just Joined!
    ok, yeah, i got the .rpm file that's around 18 MB, and i installed a source file that was around 190 MB. i also see there's a source-stripped file (stripped for post-build). is that something i need? still got the boot problem. help please! i don't know what i'm doing.

Try this site for a comprehensive guide on howto setup and configure a kernel: http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close